Talk

Advanced search

Been approached about running a sports centre creche........not clue how to

(75 Posts)
KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 22:30:42

I've been brainstorming thinking very hard about it & the meeting is on Tuesday.

So there are several options & I need to choose the most cost effective/practical ones to produce some sort of proposal

Creche at the centre
Pros - most use for parents, additional space for children, fixed costs covered
Cons - not ideal, no access to outside space, additional staffing needs

Could be done by us or we could consult on provision by sports centre

Creche at the setting
Pros - easier to man (esp if numbers are low), total control, setting is more child friendly
Cons - not ideal for parents (about 1/2 mile away). limited numbers

I need to make it work for the sports centre chap & for me - I'm not sure if there should be some 'gain' for both of us due to working together

Can anyone comment or throw ideas/problems/issues my way

KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 22:45:58

Bump as I really need to start working on this tomorrow morning otherwise I won't have anything by Tuesday

snice Fri 05-Jun-09 22:47:49

I wouldn't use a sports centre creche if it wasn't in the same building

KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 22:50:28

That's a shame

Is that because a creche is deemed as a lower/lesser standard of care or because of the proximity

KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 22:51:25

Would you consider dropping off at a nursery before going to the sports centre if it was paid for by the Sports Centre?

snice Fri 05-Jun-09 23:06:10

Sorry -was watching TV

I suppose I would imagine that if I was using a sports centre creche it would be on a casual basis and so the place/staff would not be familiar to my child. I wouldn't then want them to be a distance away.

KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 23:08:36

That's a good point

It's half a mile in rural norfolk rather than London - so I guess that you take about 3 mins to drive

I do understand your concerns, thou' it could be an issue

littleducks Fri 05-Jun-09 23:09:20

There is an excelleent creche at my local leisure centre so if this does go ahead will explain their set up for you

I would want a creche at the leisure centre, i would not be concerned about the no outside space issue, the most im going to do an aerobic class for is an hour to an hour and a half

I wouldnt want to drop off elsewhere, if i was willing to do that i would have been seeking out childcare (friend/neighbour/poss even childminder) but i didnt use any childcare for dd apart from leisure centre creche as i could easily check on her was next door if required

bosch Fri 05-Jun-09 23:11:24

I am a member of Virgin and use the creche for ds3 who is 2 1/2.

It costs £3 an hour and I use if once a week for 2 hours, that gives me settling time , an hour or so in the gym and time to shower and dry my hair. Wouldn't want to pay a lot more for off site nursery, especially as at first ,there can be a lot of time spent settling baby/toddler in a new creche (ds was already going to nursery when I work, so is used to being left but obv with new carers took a while to settle...)

Not clear what would be paid for by the Sports Centre?

I wouldn't have a problem in principle with care 'off site'. Some mums might want to meet for a class and then spend time with babies in the cafe together which wouldn't be an option if creche off site...

I wouldn't be concerned at lack of outside space if children only there for an hour or two. And centre maybe more likely to fund better equipment on site, as can be hired out for parties etc?

KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 23:12:20

Thanks Littleducks that makes sense

It's tricky tho' because to run it on-site I would need 2 staff whether or not it was used - whereas in my setting I have spare capacity - so no additional outlay

snice Fri 05-Jun-09 23:13:57

I agree about the outside space thing - I would only be using a sports centre crechevfor a couple of hours at most and so it isn't an issue.

An example would be the creche at IKEA. That has no outdoor area but is fine for an hour or so.In addition, I have the reassurance of the pager that means I can be summoned back to them if needed.

KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 23:14:50

Sports centre has no cafe

Previously (2 yrs ago) they ran a free creche for 2 hrs each morning - but there weren't enough children so it was stopped - I assumed it would carry on being a free provision: I had not considered parents paying major rethink

KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 23:16:16

It's odd isn't it - as a child carer I couldn't envision care indoors grin

KatyMac Fri 05-Jun-09 23:26:58

I currently provide ad-hoc care

My rates are £10 registration fee then £4 an hour (normal rates are £3.50)

I wonder if this could just be advertised at the Sports centre rather than providing an additional service?

KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 10:54:20

Bump for today's people & their innovative & stunning ideas wink

bosch Sat 06-Jun-09 11:28:55

Not new person, but wonder if people didn't use free creche because they thought it wasn't intended for them. (maybe people thought it was intended for people on benefits?) And people tend not to 'value' something thats free, so will drop it for something else at short notice, whereas if you've booked and have to pay, you're more likely to turn up.

Can you get sports centre to subsidise cost of childcare? If the first time I use you, I have to pay £18 for 2 hours and think I might have to spend ages settling my ds, I might give it a miss...

KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 11:52:30

It wasn't a great creche tbh - often understaffed

Settling in is always done for free here & this thread gives you an idea of what that might entail for a 3 day a week child.

I do understand where you are coming from tho'

KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 11:53:05

If the sports centre paid the £10 would that help?

KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 15:58:28

OK I bumped into the chap today

He definitely wants it on his site

Don't know how I am going to do that viably

bosch Sat 06-Jun-09 15:59:02

Yes, defo and would give the sports centre brownie points for encouraging parents to exercise

TheProfiteroleThief Sat 06-Jun-09 16:20:23

I wonder if a way to start is purely on a prebooking arrangement. Our local centre has lots of classes that are booked months in advance eg pilates, tums/bums, so maybe targt those clients to pre-book childcare, as well as classes, to reduce downtime.

Or offer on 2-3 days pw rather than every day.

I think it needs to be onsite to avoid mums in swimmers driving in a panic to you!

KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 16:23:27

I run a local authority creche at £150 a session (2 hours) & I make no money I do it as a service

I can't see how a small sports centre could afford that tbh

I like the prebook idea tho'

littleducks Sat 06-Jun-09 20:39:55

We have to book for creche, is really popular, i can often not get the times i want for the following week, i think booking with 24 hours mininmum notice would work

A great thing that our creche does is that they will change child into swimming costume for you and bring to the changing rooms (staff levels permitting) so mum can drop at creche, swim lengths for an hour (or sit in jacuzzi!) then just walk to poolside changing rooms pick up child and take child swimming as well

If i was putting a child into nursery i would def want an outside play space but as a sahm i feel i can provide the whole playing outside thing i literally just want someone to watch my child for 1.5 hours, reading books and crafts is fine by me.

CarGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 20:45:22

Can you limit the days you offer it? Perhaps you have to get the centre to pay you the breakeven cost and you get to keep the profit? Also it could be a fab way to advertise your main business.

KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 20:56:34

The more I look at it the more I think I can't do it

How do I employ someone for something between 2 & 10 hours a week with possibly only 24hrs notice for whether they are needed or not

The advertising issue is why I want to do it - but who would take an employment contract like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now