Talk

Advanced search

I want to accept major credit/debit cards via telephone

(8 Posts)
evaangel2 Sat 30-May-09 20:58:53

I have an online store which accepts paypal, how do I go about setting telephone ordering up and who do I contact?

Thanks

Niecie Sat 30-May-09 21:02:18

You can use Paypal for that too. I have done it a couple of times for my store.

I just take down the details and fill in the on-line order as if I were the customer.

Alternatively contact your bank and see about getting a credit card machine. They are quite pricey though - I was quoted £25 a month which is a lot (well, for me it is).

MrVibrating Sat 30-May-09 21:34:41

There is an add-on PayPal service to do this called Virtual Terminal.

Niecie you are breaking your paypal merchant services agreement by doing that.

Niecie Sat 30-May-09 21:48:13

Really MrVibrating?!

How would they know though?

MrVibrating Sat 30-May-09 22:43:01

Well the terms of your agreement with PayPal are a confidential between you and them, but if I could I would bet that they prevent you from taking customer payment details and entering them as if you are a customer.

How would they know? Well if someone used a stolen card or chargeback fraud on you they would find out and you would have no protection, and would lose your merchant account - how would you accept payments then?

evaangel2 Sun 31-May-09 06:31:19

thanks for that link MrVibrating, I am only a small business so I couldnt afford anything to costly

2Shoots Sun 31-May-09 07:40:45

dh uses that virtual terminal

Niecie Sun 31-May-09 12:01:28

I wouldn't worry about it too much MrVibrating - I have only done it once or twice in the last 6 months and anyway, I am not about to face financial ruin for the price of a couple of balls of knitting wool.smile

I have no idea what the T&C's of my account are. I spent an hour looking for them on the Paypal website last night and found nothing about it at all. And I seem to have a Virtual Terminal Merchant's tool which I don't understand as I don't pay the monthly fee.

evaangel2 - Don't take a listen to me. Get yours set up properly and then you won't have any worries about having your account taken away (although there are plenty of other providers to replace it with).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now