Talk

Advanced search

Haemorrhaging customers - any ideas? Bit desperate . . .

(7 Posts)
FeelMuchBrighterToday Fri 29-May-09 14:01:41

I provide a very un-recession-proof service to pet owners, until recently was confident of weathering this credit crunch storm but have suddenly (past three weeks) lost an awful lot of work.

Not wholly convinced it's wholly financial, though this is the reason most of them have given, my confidence has taken a hammering.

Would be v grateful for any suggestions as to how to attract more work - or even whether to give up and look for some sort of 'proper' job.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 29-May-09 20:11:57

So you do pet sitting or something like that? It probably is just the economy but things do seem to be picking up a bit. I run a business which has been hit hard and things are just starting to get a bit better for us but it is tough isn't it.

Could you perhaps diversify into something that is definitely required urgently during harder economic times?

It's hard without knowing what you to do make suggestions

mrsbaldwin Sat 30-May-09 08:20:44

Yes, is it pet-sitting or grooming or dog walking ... ?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 30-May-09 13:58:40

could you run a walking bus to school, I'd pay £1 each way to get the urchins there and back so I didn't have to if my urchins were old enough.

wingandprayer Sat 30-May-09 17:58:22

My business although totally different suffering from same thing and I too questioned giving up. As last shot I thought about what other related skills I could offer customers that they used to get elsewhere or I subcontracted on their behalf. I went on training course and learnt how to provide them myself and an now kicking myself that I didn't do it earlier!

mumonthenet Sat 30-May-09 18:09:24

believe it or not in a recession it can be helpful to market MORE rather than less!

Create some new flyers and bung em through peoples' doors?

Improve your business's image.

Add more value to your existing service without adding cost?

Diversify a little.

FeelMuchBrighterToday Sun 31-May-09 13:49:19

thanks for these responses

it's sort of group behavioural type work, not training exactly in fact closer to a play group, although I do walking/sitting for certain customers for my bread and butter the groups were paying for the jam if that makes sense? I've also lost my venue and can't find another (although still looking) and am working twice as hard for less than half the return - it's probably not worth trying to hire another place to do it in if people can't afford to send their dogs anyway?

I'm trying to think of related skills I could offer but drawing a bit of a blank, I already work with a groomer and have qualifications in canine psychology and behavioural modification. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now