Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Working at home with dc in house

(5 Posts)
Fibonacci Sun 01-Mar-09 19:20:12

I have just started a new office-based job, but they have agreed to let me work from home occasionally.

So, just wondering how practical this is going to be in school holidays. Will I actually get any work done with dc in the house (7 and 10)?

What do others do? Do you just abandon them to the Wii and TV for hours on end?

Grateful for some advice!

RoseOfTheOrient Mon 02-Mar-09 12:59:12

Sorry, no, you won't get much work done with them there. Maybe an hour or two tops...while they watch TV, as you said. Even if you are in another room, there is the constant "Muuuum, I'm HUNGRY!" "Muuuum, she's COPYING me!"
If I have to work at home, I tend to do it at the weekends when DH can take them out (to FIL, or park or somewhere) for a good few hours so I can work.
School holidays - is there a school holiday club they can go to? Grandparents?
Working at home in this respect is really not any easier than going to the office, except you don't have to commute and you can work in your pyjamas if you want to grin

stealthsquiggle Mon 02-Mar-09 13:06:06

Age 7 & 10 - it depends how independent they are and how much they fight.

DS is 6 and I no longer worry about an occasional day here and there of either DH or me working @ home with him kicking around amusing himself. I do give him some structure sometimes (e.g. lego set unopened since birthday, drawing competition from a magazine he wants to enter, list of 'jobs' to get done) and DH tends to promise him some time (DH's "lunch hour") to do something together, but other than that he plays outside a lot unless it is freezing/raining - I save wii/film for a point when I need to guarantee some peace and quiet (e.g. for a call).

I wouldn't recommend doing it more than 2 days in a row (ideally only one day at a time) though - the vast majority of days when I am working in the holidays DS is in some sort of holiday club or with friends or with GPs.

flowerybeanbag Mon 02-Mar-09 19:55:58

Are you sure they know that you will not have childcare? Most employers who allow working from home will stipulate that you must have childcare in place.

Fibonacci Tue 03-Mar-09 20:51:32

Thanks. Will probably start with 1/2 days and see how that goes before I commit myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now