Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Online business, Maternity Leave and Dh

(4 Posts)
nuttygirl Thu 12-Feb-09 14:06:59

Ok so I have an online business (retail) and am pregnant (due 4th Aug).

My original plan was to take approx 10 weeks maternity leave and to work one day per week - with a statement on the website that all enquiries, orders etc will be dealt with on that day (same day each week iyswim). Business isn't that busy yet so this would be feasible.

However, because I don't have a small earnings exemption certificate I would get £113 ish per week Maternity Allowance. At the moment all money earned by the business goes back into it so I'm earning nothing. The extra £113 per week would make a HUGE difference to us.

I understand that essentially abandoning the business for a year isn't going to help it. Is there any way dh could take it over while I take maternity leave? If so, what would I have to do? (At present I'm a sole trader if that makes a difference)

LadyMuck Thu 12-Feb-09 16:45:01

Tbh I would continue as normal. How is anyone ever going to work out whether you were "working" or not. It is rather different from being employed.

But yes, anyone can do the work for you if they're happy to do so. Your dh could work for you for free (assuming that you operate as a single economic unit this would be easiest).

LadyMuck Thu 12-Feb-09 16:45:13

Tbh I would continue as normal. How is anyone ever going to work out whether you were "working" or not. It is rather different from being employed.

But yes, anyone can do the work for you if they're happy to do so. Your dh could work for you for free (assuming that you operate as a single economic unit this would be easiest).

threewisemonkeys Thu 12-Feb-09 17:06:25

yes, you need to continue getting the income yourself, as your hubby would prob have to pay tax on it on top of what he's already earning, whereas you'll still get your tax free allowance (he can still help you tho). make sure you check all tax credits info as you might be entitled to more money if you work 16 hours a week.

i ran a business whilst preg and for several years afterwards and to be honest you'll probably welcome something other than baby to focus on. DH can help you in the evenings or when baby naps and for the first few months baby will prob sit happily in a bouncy chair/sling while you work during the day. if third world women can work in the fields with babies on their backs why can't we?!

imho i would be wary of a website that states that my order will be dealt with on a particular day - not hugely professional. instead just make sure terms & conditions clearly state 10 days for delivery or whatever, but I don't think a small company which is not that busy will be a huge headache for you to keep on top of. it will give you a link to the outside world, while still having the flexibility to work when it suits. you get the best of both worlds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now