Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of opening a drop off Creche on Saturdays for people to leave their children for an hour or two while they shop

(56 Posts)
nolongeraworriedmummy Wed 22-Oct-08 11:04:07

The premises I have seen are in a nursery so its very child safe, I have a police check in place, Children will be allowed to stay up to 2 hours a time and I am thinking of covering 3 upwards or something like that.

Does anyone have any experience?

nolongeraworriedmummy Wed 22-Oct-08 11:04:44

The nursery has a large hall they rent out at weekends.

Anna8888 Wed 22-Oct-08 11:09:01

Two hours isn't much unless you are very close to the shops.

compo Wed 22-Oct-08 11:11:02

yes 3 hours would be better
how much would you charge, how many staff would you need? how would you promote it etc? who would clean up, would you provide food, drinks? how would you do the finance

but more importantly do you live near me as it sounds fab grin

MrsMattie Wed 22-Oct-08 11:12:24

My local Gymboree does this. It's not that popular because 2 hours isn't enough! 3 hours and now you're talking!

Anna8888 Wed 22-Oct-08 11:13:48

Four hours to include lunch and a nap would be very attractive to some parents smile

MadameCastafiore Wed 22-Oct-08 11:13:52

There is one in Bromley (The Glades Shopping Cetre) - left DD in there a few times to be able to have a peaceful few hours shopping.

giddly Wed 22-Oct-08 11:14:11

Sounds brilliant - I'd use it! Agree though maybe 3 hours would be better so parents can do a good shop or go to gym. How would you do it? Would children need to register in advance? I think I'd feel safer with that sort of system.

islandofsodor Wed 22-Oct-08 11:14:22

I agree, 2 hours is not much. I left ds in the shopping centre creche once, because it was his first time they said I had to come back after 2 hours. I was just stressed trying to get back on time and ds had a tantrum as he wanted to stay to play wityh trains.
The problem with going over 2 hours is that for under 8's you would then need to be fully OFSTED registered.

jumpingbeans Wed 22-Oct-08 11:21:05

Could you not manage friday evening till monday morning

wannaBe Wed 22-Oct-08 11:22:13

I think that in an actual shopping centre it's a good idea, but anywhere else I think you'd struggle to get business.

If people are dropping off their kids they want to do it somewhere nearby, especially if it's only for a couple of hours, they wouldn't want to drop off and then spend another half an hour getting to shops/parking and then only have an hour to shop before they came back. Plus it would be too far in the event they had to come back for their child in event of illness/accident etc.

Also have you considered the finances, you would have to hire enough staff to cover adult child ratios, also you need to be sure that your premises is secure and that no child can get out etc.

plus public liability insurance.

And what does your police check cover? You have to have different CRB's for different involvements with children, so for eg if you help out in one school and have a crb you will still have to get another crb to help out at brownies/another school etc so the crb you have may not automatically cover you.

Lauriefairycake Wed 22-Oct-08 11:22:15

will you take a ten year old so I can shag dh grin

nolongeraworriedmummy Wed 22-Oct-08 11:27:20

Its very near the shops (on the street next to main street)
At first it would just be me but my friend who is a nursery nurse has said she is willing to help until I can afford staff (in exchange for babysitting lol).
As far as I can see I would only be able to take 8 children at anyone time on my own of 3 - 7 year olds. Obviously this is higher if over 8s but tbh how many parents will drop an 8 year old off? (plus 8 children sounds plenty lol!)

The room hire for this period is £27 a week
No idea what to charge, what would you all pay for 3 hours peace grin? I would provide snacks, water,juice,milk, fruit or toast ect and I would clean up afterwards.

Would promote it in local paper/posters and leaflets and on net.

nolongeraworriedmummy Wed 22-Oct-08 11:30:05

Have advanced disclosure. I have looked into the cost of public liability and thats fine. The hall is within a private day nursery so obviously its not used at the weekend but it has secure keypad entry etc.

nolongeraworriedmummy Wed 22-Oct-08 11:31:07

lmao at Lauriecake errmm if you pay me then... yes {grin] I am not actually going to check they have gone to the shops so they could be doing anything grin

BlameItOnTheBogey Wed 22-Oct-08 11:49:13

There's another market you can tap into with this one as well. If you are near a gym, you can speak to them and ask them to take some flyers advertising the creche. 2 hours is perfect for mums to drop of babies and go to the gym. My local gym has a creche and I relish the fact that I can drop DS off there every now and then and have time to get a proper workout in. Worth a thought?

BlameItOnTheBogey Wed 22-Oct-08 11:50:15

ps I think the gym charge 5 pounds a hour.

FimboGotAxed Wed 22-Oct-08 11:51:54

I remember the days when Safeways had a creche. It was fantastic to be able to shop in peace.

nolongeraworriedmummy Wed 22-Oct-08 11:55:31

Its within 5 minutes walking distance of a JJB gym that doesnt have a creche but I would only be able to do get the room Saturday and Sunday.

£5 sounds okay for me to cover costs and make a profit but then three hours would cost £15 which sounds rather a lot.

giddly Wed 22-Oct-08 11:58:47

Where are you? (Giddly starts getting the DDs coats on in readiness.

giddly Wed 22-Oct-08 12:01:34

I think you may need to consider a sliding scale:
i.e £5 one hour, £8 2 hours, £10 3 hours.
Also maybe a discount for more than one child.

islandofsodor Wed 22-Oct-08 12:02:11

You will need to contact OFSTED then and look into any costs and requirements of registereing with them if you want to provide care for 3 hours..

Oliveoil Wed 22-Oct-08 12:04:49

don't people shop with their children anymore????

bizarre

so they are in nursery/school all week and then in a creche on a Saturday??

BlameItOnTheBogey Wed 22-Oct-08 12:06:55

Also, I bulk buy sessions at the gym so get a discount for paying up front. You could consider that? And some people will only want to work out for an hour and 5 pounds for that is very reasonable.

wannaBe Wed 22-Oct-08 12:07:25

tbh I think that if you're only taking over 3s then you're going to miss out on a load of business.

Lots and lots of parents with over 3's have younger children as well, and they're just not going to drop off one child and not the other or drop off their two children in different settings.

but obviously babies is a lot harder.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: