Talk

Advanced search

Help: I need a CV.

(6 Posts)
twofalls Tue 14-Oct-08 13:18:00

There is a contract job coming up that I really want to apply for (10 hours guaranteed every month) but I need a CV. I don't have one as I haven't needed one for 5 years! I don't know where to start. Any tips before I go off googling.

(I do marketing and PR by the way).

Thanks

Lio Tue 14-Oct-08 13:27:29

I'm sure you'll google a good template, and would advise you keep it to two pages, be consistent (e.g. in the way you give dates) and get someone whose grammar and spelling you trust to review it very critically. Don't bother listing your O level/GCSE/A level subjects an grades unless they are relevant. Something along the lines of "8 GCSEs, 4 A level" would be sufficient. Your subsequent qualifications will be more relevant. Don't lie.

twofalls Tue 14-Oct-08 13:33:39

thanks lio. would you put a little profile paragraph at the top? I hate writing that kind of stuff about myself.

flowerybeanbag Tue 14-Oct-08 13:35:07

I'm cutting and pasting advice from a previous thread -

Put personal information at the top (name, address, contact number only, not 'married 3 kids age 37 favourite colour blue').

You could put a personal profile-type statement after that, just a couple of lines summing up what experience/skills you have to offer and the type of position/company you are looking for. Obviously make sure these tie in with the job you are applying for.

For each job/contract you've had list them in date order starting with most recent, give job title and company plus one line about what the job actually was. Put a list of bullet points of main responsibilites and/or achievements for the most recent/relevant jobs. Do this with the job description for the job you want in front of you so you can emphasise relevant stuff.

Then qualifications/training. List in most recent order, include relevant training courses and higher education if you have it. Don't put Home Ec O Level. Everything on your cv should help you get the job you are looking for, and school exams usually won't unless you are a school leaver or very early in your career.

Don't put photos or anything else annoying and irrelevant, don't put it in a folder or on pink paper, don't staple it. It needs to be easy to read and easy to copy. Put page numbers and your name in the footer of each page in case of mishaps with photocopying.

Lio Tue 14-Oct-08 13:43:27

I'm with flowery: personal profile fine, but short and relevant. I usually do a covering letter: shows that I can write in sentences, and that I have read and understood their requirements. Short and sweet.

twofalls Tue 14-Oct-08 13:52:47

lol, I misread your first line lio and though you were advising a flowery personal profile smile

Thanks both, good advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now