Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advertising in magazines or newspapers?

(6 Posts)
acoady Thu 09-Oct-08 14:15:26

Has anyone tried marketing by advertising in magazines/newspapers. If so, has anyone found that it works? If it does work, did you find an immediate boost in sales which then tailed off, or were sales boosted for the time that the publication was current (and maybe even beyond)?

Andrea.

escape Thu 09-Oct-08 14:16:33

what do you sell Andrea?

cashy Thu 09-Oct-08 14:46:17

hi andrea, i'm a pr and would have to say that advertising is a very expensive way of trying to boost sales! You're better off doing some local PR, trying to reach your consumer that way. Advertising has massive wastage (meaning that the wrong type of person will read the ad and not react to it) whereas if you target your consumer more directly (be featured in their fav magazine, offer samples, appear at a local shopping centre etc) you are more likley to convert to a sale...
I know, i know - you're all thinking of course she says that she's a PR grin
Same question as escape - what do you sell? Happy to offer advice if you want to e-mail me? smile

acoady Thu 09-Oct-08 16:09:47

Dear Escape and Cashy -

Thanks for responding. sorry, I probably should have said in my original post: we sell high quality space themed dressing up, space toys, space-themed stuff for the home and astronaut food.

escape Thu 09-Oct-08 16:18:44

you've got a really niche product there.
(I'm a marketer too btw)
I have actually seen your website, you once linked to it here.

The 'niche' in your case is a good thing.
As cashy says, its all about targeting.
i certainly wouldn't rule out EVER advertising ina mag - depends what your target audience read of course, but you will do FAR better concentrating on product placement, and direct features, sponsorshp locally even.

cashy Thu 09-Oct-08 16:48:16

how about online advertising? Any kids websites like Kiddicare etc or even Mumsnet?? Have your tried places like NetMums as well? Or local NCT?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now