Talk

Advanced search

Freelancers chatroom

(12 Posts)
TracyK Thu 09-Oct-08 13:17:15

Can I start a new thread for our daily (ish) updating and general motivating? I know a lot of us were on another thread that kind of ran on a daily basis - But I keep losing it and haven't been on it for a while.

Anyhoo - just back from Spain 2 rainy days and 5 glorious sunny 26 degree days.

Have dropped one client (had been hoping to job share and keep it as 1 day a week), and my other client told me yesterday that he may have found a replacement for me there too! I know I wanted to get clients closer to home - but not in such quick succession - with Xmas looming and current economic climate etc. Bit scary. Will have to get my finger out and get some new work!

escape Thu 09-Oct-08 13:23:56

what do you do Tracy?

I have aclient just being an arse this week - I'm just going to take the money and run. bugger artistic integrity!

TracyK Thu 09-Oct-08 13:30:47

I do accounts and computer training Escape.
My ds is 4.5 and is only at preschool till 12pm - so the travelling to and from clients was taking most of the morning and not much work being done.
But I've not lined up any new work and I'm panicking a bit as to where they're going to come from!

escape Thu 09-Oct-08 13:34:35

I know what you mean.
I have to pick up DS1 at 12.30 and DD at 2pm so I spend 12 till just after 2 doing school pick ups.
Do you have aplan for aquiring new work?

TracyK Thu 09-Oct-08 14:48:31

I've never not worked for the past 20 years and work has always 'just happened' - I've been hoping the same will happen again.
I'm going to design a leaflet and get names and address of local business from the Chamber of Commerce and do a wee mailshot.
Money isn't too much of an issue if we tighten our belts for a couple of months - but wouldn't like to see it continue much after Xmas.

escape Thu 09-Oct-08 16:21:19

absolutely. IME it all takes much longer than you'd think anyway.
I am now just seeing the fruits of my labour after a major Business drive at the end of July.
What's your USP, do you think, the business drive goesn't have to cost anything, if you've got something people want, and your experience will speak for itself.

TracyK Thu 09-Oct-08 16:30:27

I've found in the past that there is a great shortage of decent accounts type staff - but thats been in the medium to large type companies. Where I live it'll just be small companies - so I'm not sure if they will pay good money for me - or if they're small enough to do the accounts themselves.
ds will be in full time school this time next year. Maybe I just need to muddle along with my one client till then - but that's really only 1 or 2 chargeable days a week - at a push. So will be dropping about £1500 a month income. gulp!

moeaw Sun 12-Oct-08 20:11:37

I haven't seen any of the freelance threads before - but I think anything to help with motivation is a good idea.

I've only stepped out to freelance 14 months ago and have been lucky and just had work handed to me until now, but in the last month work has got a lot tighter - and I think I'm going to have to work for my work for a while which is a little bit scary.

TantieTowie Tue 14-Oct-08 16:28:25

I'm lucky in that I've got a big project on that runs up to Christmas and is keeping me busy - but I do perversely wonder what I'd be doing if this hadn't come up. I think I'd be chasing up potential work, and that it would pay off. I'm more worried that I might work and run up massive phone bills etc on this one project and then might not get paid if a client goes bust.

I think the general atmosphere with 24-7 coverage of the economy and the 'we're all doomed' line of conversation among my friends doesn't give you much confidence there will be work next year. But one part of the work I do is because people aren't hiring but they still need stuff doing.

I think it's too soon to panic yet but I have to admit I'm planning to replenish my savings when I can.

TracyK Sun 19-Oct-08 11:47:25

Every month I think I'm going to be able to top up some savings (used most of them up last year to do a house overhaul). But then by the end of said month - guess what - no money left!!

Am going to have to appear mean at Xmas - as there are about 14 kids to buy for and can't really afford the usual £20 a head.

Will be trawling the Xmas threads on here and moneysavingexpert.com for ideas.

quickdrawnandquartered Tue 21-Oct-08 10:18:38

I'm ok for the next while too but there are some areas i used to get a lot of work in that have all but stopped. I used to do 3D work for house brochures and that's stopped because no one's building anymore.
On the other hand, photography is taking off because people are less willing to pay big money at the studios so I'm ok until Christmas.

Walkthedinosaur Tue 21-Oct-08 10:24:11

It's worrying times isn't it - I just take work as and when I can get it these days and touch wood it's been OK so far, but no work at all today so let's hope it's just a blip and not a sign of things to come.

When I am working though I do lack motivation and spend far too much time on Mumsnet which means I normally get to about 2.00 in the afternoon then have to work my socks off to try and fit everything in before I collect the DC's from school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: