Advanced search

IT people - ho w much would you charge to do a website from scracth

(17 Posts)
nailpolish Wed 08-Oct-08 11:00:26

dh does LOADS of homers
software
website update

stuff i dont even know what its called

fixes computers all the time for friends and family wyho usually give him a box of beer or their own expetise in a swap like fix a shower or new gate or whatever

but now folks he doesnt know are asking him to do websites from scratch etc - all via word of mouth and he is quite willing to do it but its got to the stage where he doesnt know how muchto charge

nailpolish Wed 08-Oct-08 11:01:57

obv he has some idea but id like to know myself grin

he is too generous and prob wont charge enogh

PeterCushi0n Wed 08-Oct-08 11:05:25

DH runs a computing consultancy - if you want to CAT me on my usual name (HC), I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you what they charge.

nailpolish Wed 08-Oct-08 11:11:07

is that you hun=mphrey?

i think i have your email address

PeterCushi0n Wed 08-Oct-08 11:18:12

yes, tis me.
I forgot you had my address.

S1ur Wed 08-Oct-08 11:25:05

Can I hijack a bit?

I don't know the answer but I'm interested to know because dh is looking to set up a website (or have one set up for him) and was wondering about ball park fugures.

Okay if I CAT either of you? Unless you care to share here?

PeterCushi0n Wed 08-Oct-08 11:26:46

CAT aware, Slur. grin
Would help out here, but don't actually know the answers, and DH not back until after lunch.

PeterCushi0n Wed 08-Oct-08 11:27:22

CAT away, I mean.

S1ur Wed 08-Oct-08 11:37:58

Cheers HC have done, though not sure how well it'll work with halloween ghoulish interference. But we'll see.

Ta anyway smile

morningpaper Wed 08-Oct-08 11:40:04

I charge from 350

It was 250 but once I'd worked out the hourly rate it was not worth it

It's a LOT of hassle though, it is often my LEAST favourite of all my jobs grin (some clients are lovely, and that is fine, but some are DITHERY and then you are DOOMED)

nailpolish Wed 08-Oct-08 11:54:37

mp

dh says he gets annoyed cos some people want dead tacky websites

like flashy logos etc

anyway - is it best if he cjarges per hr do you think?

morningpaper Wed 08-Oct-08 12:01:43

Yes - I turn down more work than I accept.

I don't think an hourly rate works because there is so much faffing and to-ing and fro-ing from emails etc.

I have a very tight "process" that people follow. They are not allowed to deviate. grin I can send you the documents I use if you CAT me.

nailpolish Wed 08-Oct-08 12:03:35

no its ok but thanks v much for the offer mp

thanks for advice

also, what do you do about updating the site? is it 'ongoing'

or do you leave them to it

morningpaper Wed 08-Oct-08 12:06:31

I charge £35 per set of "updates" which takes anywhere between 1-3 hours.

Overmydeadbody Wed 08-Oct-08 12:14:29

I think price also depends quite a bit on what you want.

Is it just 4 or 5 pages? or more complex? Does he want an online shop? That would be more.

My last website I needed, including online shop and online payments etc., I got a student webdesigner, it was his first ever commercial website he had done so he only charged £500, but got a website for his portfolio out of it, so worked well for both of us.

Downside was he didn't always know how to do what I wanted and the whole process took a little longer as he was learning on the job.

nailpolish Wed 08-Oct-08 12:15:45

thanks mp thats really helpful

some people are looking for online shops, OMDB

and forums

Overmydeadbody Wed 08-Oct-08 12:20:41

oh gosh, my mind is not working! How do I from reading your OP about your DH doing the web design to answering as if you're looking for someone else to design your website?hmmblush

I blame motherhood.

Ok, I have a friend who designs websites in the evenings and charges a minimum of £800 for simple websites, prices go up from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now