Talk

Advanced search

insurance for a work at home small business?

(11 Posts)
bettythebuilder Wed 17-Sep-08 12:01:27

Yes, I know, the award for 'dull topic of the day' goes to.... but this is driving me mad!

My small business insurance is due for renewal soon, so I've been looking for quotes and can't find anything suitable! The main problem is this list of trades to descibe your business- there's gravedigger and butler, but not 'greeting card wholesaler'- I spent half an hour on the phone to Direct Line only to (eventually) be told 'it's not on the list so we can't quote for insurance' <<click, brrr>>

I'm aware this may have turned into a rant but all I want is insurance to cover stock held at home, a couple of days at trade fairs, and public/product liability for wholesale sales in the UK, Eu and Australia- without having to describe myself as 'an artistic painter sculptor or potter' which is the nearest category I could find last time.

Any suggestions, anyone, or recommendations for small work at home business insurance?

zippitippitoes Wed 17-Sep-08 12:03:13

axa will cover you

have you tried a broker

the trip might be overseas public liability do you sell much in australia

zippitippitoes Wed 17-Sep-08 12:03:59

direct line are useless at this they wouldnt cover my car because it wasnt on their list

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Sep-08 12:05:49

surely just a generic 'small retailer' or small wholesaler' would cover it?

I sympathise though, I made hundreds of phone calls before I foubd someone willing to insure me (aparantly my business it too high risk for most insurance companieshmm)

bettythebuilder Wed 17-Sep-08 12:14:31

I'll try axa, zippi.

The insurance company I'm with at the mo (well for the next couple of hours- nothing like leaving a renewal late, is there )said thet EU and Oz are fine, it's Canada and the US sales that ramp up the premium. I have got a company distributing the wheels in Oz, so i do need insurance for there.

I just can't get through to the brokers my insurance is with at the moment- 10 mins waiting on the phone and they cut me off, so I'm flouncing

something like 'small wholesaler' would be perfect, but nothing like that is on their 'lists'...grrr!

zippitippitoes Wed 17-Sep-08 12:16:08

axa are online but you would have to ring them i think but this is what they do i cant see it being a problem

bettythebuilder Wed 17-Sep-08 12:16:47

(omdb, I'm impressed that your business is 'high-risk' it sounds exciting . I couldn't be anymore low risk if I tried, and yet still 'the computer says 'no''!)

bettythebuilder Wed 17-Sep-08 12:30:42

I've filled in the online form with axa, and again 'my occupation makes work from home insurance unsuitable' (I tried 'wholesaler' and 'fancy goods wholesaler', whatever fancy goods are (bunting, maybe?))

I'll have to try ringing- I'll get some biscuits to eat while I'm on hold...

pickie Wed 17-Sep-08 12:37:14

BtB it is worth calling Businesslink as i used to find it impossible to find home insurance but they had a few leads for me and one worked out very well. Think they are call NIG but not sure (have sold business now so no longer access to it)

bettythebuilder Wed 17-Sep-08 21:43:23

Thanks, pickie, I will give business link another go- i have to be honest (whispers) but I've not found them of much help in the past, but i think there's been a bit of a change at the local business link recently, so I'll try again, -thanks

pickie Thu 18-Sep-08 14:10:05

hope you will get some more and better info this time. The Oxfordshire branch is very good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now