Talk

Advanced search

Coaching at home

(5 Posts)
kiram Mon 15-Sep-08 16:10:05

Hi everyone

I am a nutrition and lifestyle coach and am looking to work from home but am in need of some advice and wondered if you could point me in the right direction.

What are the rules and regs or complications of working from home?

I plan to run small courses for groups of 4 - 6 people and wanted to know if i can use my home as the venue? I will also be doing one to one consultations.

I am thinking though that using my home as a venue may not be as professional as working from a hired venue (meeting or therapy room, or studio etc) but i need to start somewhere in terms of costs involved.

Not sure if i'm making a great deal of sence but your help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Sarah x

madteacher Thu 18-Sep-08 09:07:30

You need to have insurance in case anyone injures themselves in your home.

Your property deeds may forbid running a business from home- in the sense of having people arriving, parking etc etc etc. You need to check your house deeds.

You may find that clients will be less keen to come to you at home as it adds a personal element that they may not like.

You also have to think of your own personal security - do you want your home on display and seen by anyone who you don't even know?

Have you a big house and a room you can dedicate to your business?

You would be better off sharing premises with other therapists as you build up your business- you may find it is not that easy to get the clients you want- it is a very competitive field.

malfoy Thu 18-Sep-08 11:06:03

where are you based? I need that sort of coach!

girlsnextdoor Thu 18-Sep-08 11:39:43

Malfoy- I have been doing this sort of work for 5 years now and live in Herts- you are welcome to contact me for a totally free 1st session by phone, but I am not sure how we set this up over mumsnet?

mumdebump Fri 19-Sep-08 14:44:42

Kiram, you will have to check your home insurance as it may be invalidated if you are running a business there (in the sense of actually having clients visit your home rather than just working out of the back bedroom doing the accounts and admin).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now