Talk

Advanced search

Any authors out there - is there such a thing as authorsnet (or equivalent)

(14 Posts)
theauthor Mon 08-Sep-08 20:22:21

I need the equivalent of Authorsnet at the moment and wondered if any of you know of something like this.

I am on Journobiz which is great but there are only a few book authors on there.

girlsnextdoor Mon 08-Sep-08 22:26:02

Not that I know of- have you googled it?

there are things like the Society of Authors but you have to fulfil the criteria- can't remember properly, but I think you have to have had 1 book published, or almost so!

one option- start your own group through facebook?

theauthor Mon 08-Sep-08 22:35:19

Just found this one so will take a look around.

http://publishedauthors.org/

SoA doesn't seem to have a forum. I would qualify - my book was published today! grin

hester Mon 08-Sep-08 22:41:12

Congratulations! How exciting... I know you won't tell us the title, but what genre?

theauthor Mon 08-Sep-08 22:44:55

Parenting - non-fiction.

I wouldn't mind telling you the title as this is the nickname I use for anything that could identify me anyway. I have another one for all those personal and embarrassing questions for the relationships board/ about piles etc.!!

Might get in trouble with MNHQ if I mention its title though???

Looked at that publishedauthors one and it looks a bit too US-oriented for me. Will keep looking....anyone else any ideas?

hester Mon 08-Sep-08 22:56:53

Surely it's not advertising if I ask you?? Or maybe it is... shame, I really want to know now!

My dp is a published author but doesn't know of an authorsnet (just checked); maybe you should set it up smile

Congratulations again - it's a huge achievement to get published in the current market.

theauthor Tue 09-Sep-08 10:04:05

Hi
Oh go on then....it's this:
www.amazon.co.uk/What-Buy-Your-Baby-Equipment/dp/1905410360/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=121575906 8&sr=1-1

I'm desperate for it to get talked about (good or bad) on the pregnancy boards but it's early days yet and I'll just have to wait until people start noticing it as we don't have an ad budget from the publisher. Meanwhile I don't want to get flamed or in trouble with MNHQ for spamming but I think it's OK in the context of this chat...well hopefully.

Cod reviewed it - here:
http://icodblog.blogspot.com/
(about half way down).

What is your dh's book about? Will you be happy to post a link - or CAT me?

Thanks for asking him about an authorsnet equivalent. I might set one up at this rate! I think it'd be so useful to have others to swap notes with. Would he use that sort of thing?

There are a few authors on here, e.g. UQD, but not many - maybe I could set up a thread for authors on here?

2Eliza2 Tue 09-Sep-08 10:12:08

The best writers' internet board is the US-based Backspace

http://www.bksp.org

There are lots of published Brits there, too, though, including moi.

In the UK I have heard good things of Writewords, but I am not a member.

theauthor Tue 09-Sep-08 10:18:21

Will take a look - thanks Eliza.

FluffyMummy123 Tue 09-Sep-08 10:53:44

Message withdrawn

vonsudenfed Tue 09-Sep-08 11:01:01

I'm not a published author (although working on it, and should be right now). I'm on writewords, which is pretty good, although it does seem to be fiction-orientated, but then that might just be where I am looking. There are certainly plenty of published authors there, chatting - and you can get a trial subscription for free.

And congratulations on getting published!

theauthor Tue 09-Sep-08 13:49:47

Btw Cod - I want to put one of your quotes on the book's website. Is that OK?

2Eliza2 Wed 10-Sep-08 14:06:44

Just because I'm in an admin. bossy mood.

Be sure to register with the Public Lending Rights people so you get some money each time someone checks the book out of the library. My mother kindly checks mine out most weeks.

vonsudenfed Wed 10-Sep-08 14:36:27

I like the cut of your mother's jib.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now