Talk

Advanced search

Writers /journos- can anyone help me re: NUJ membership

(13 Posts)
BetteDavisEyes Mon 25-Aug-08 22:09:12

Hoping someone can help.

I'm a f/l journalist but haven't been doing a huge amount of writing since getting pg (had some other work going on which formed my main income).

I am a member of the NUJ but I'm not working at the moment (am on mat leave)

I have never really used my NUJ membership and it's £15 going out of my account every month that I don't really wanna pay for.

Is it very poor form to stop being a member?
Are there any reasons to stay one? Does anyone know if I can "get it back" if I relinquish it?

Clary Mon 25-Aug-08 22:24:16

I'm sure I don't pay £15 pm.

I think you can allow your membership to lapse - in fact if you're not working as a journalist you probably should (I don't mean mat leave, that's fine).

Not a problem AFAIK rejoining if and when journalism forms the main part of yr income again.

I'd also get that figure checked sounds like a lot.

HTH

MyEye Mon 25-Aug-08 22:33:51

afaicr there are various rates depending on income, just ring and ask. I'm sure you should have a subscription holiday when on mat leave anyway.
(ime the press card pays its way as waving it gets you in to see the Terracotta Army/wotnot for free)

yogagirl Tue 26-Aug-08 15:43:35

You've probably called them by now, but yes - you're entitled to a subscription holiday while on mat leave (I'm in this situation at the moment). Give the membership office a call and let them know, they were v helpful with me.

filthymindedvixen Tue 26-Aug-08 15:47:10

It's worth it for the press card....but...

Agree, give them a ring.

TantieTowie Tue 26-Aug-08 21:21:37

You do get maternity leave from your payments - I stay a member in case I ever get into trouble on a story - you do get legal advice etc for free.

chipmunkswhereareyou Tue 26-Aug-08 21:51:37

What sort of thing do you lot get for free....ideas welcome!
Last time mine was any use was blagging a better car parking space at a sports event by waving it around but that was ages ago. I think I've been missing out...

MyEye Tue 26-Aug-08 22:34:57

I've only used it for art galleries (lots of queue jumping) but there's a decent discount from the apple store I think... check the nuj site

MyEye Tue 26-Aug-08 22:36:11

I've only used it for art galleries (lots of queue jumping) but there's a decent discount from the apple store I think... check the nuj site

theauthor Tue 26-Aug-08 22:38:15

Off there now. Didn't realise I could queue jump....ooh am almost excited about this!

furrycat Tue 26-Aug-08 22:50:43

I'm in the BAJ and it's a flat rate £10 a month for freelancers

MyEye Wed 27-Aug-08 14:16:49

oh look -- NUJ discounts on funerals too

furrycat Wed 27-Aug-08 16:28:40

Marvellous. Some magazines I work for seem determined to force me into an early grave. Or not pay me till I'm dead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now