Talk

Advanced search

Just been offered a 6-month fulltime contract... sounds good, but...

(11 Posts)
PussinWellies Fri 15-Aug-08 21:26:06

the more I think about it, the less sure I am that it would work!

I usually work freelance from home, fitting it into school hours plus longer days with clients about twice a month. One of my regular clients has asked if I'd be interested in covering for her fulltime role while she is temporarily seconded elsewhere. The suggestion is two days per week in her office -- a good long commute each way -- then the rest from home.

Childcare plus railfare works out at (at least) £60. This isn't a particularly well-paid type of job, though freelance is better than employed rates. No one seems to know yet if this would be 'long-term freelance' or 'short-term employment'. But I have a feeling my cautious interest has been taken to mean 'problem solved, see you in September' (yes, it now turns out to be that sort of short notice). They are one of my best clients, and I don't want to piss them off. Aaarghh. Aaarggh, aarghh.

bigspender30 Sat 16-Aug-08 18:24:07

is it not possible to negotiate a situation where you can work from home?

PussinWellies Sat 16-Aug-08 20:19:52

Thanks, BS30, but it's not possible to do the whole thing from home. It needs someone on the spot to coordinate things, and sometimes email just doesn't cut it.

Basically, I've been panicking since a late email on Friday saying 'Cheers, thanks for that, we'll discuss budgets with the boss Monday and give you details. Start date is 15th Sept'. Err, hang on a minute, mate, I need to know what you want and what you'll pay me before I can make the decision!

Oh well. Thanks for the reply, and I'll get my best Negotiating Hat on for Monday morning.

MarshaBrady Sat 16-Aug-08 20:30:55

Go in high enough to financially make it worth your while, you will be in a strong position as it is such short notice and they know you.

Don't worry too much, I've done a few freelance contracts this year and I know that argh feeling just before starting- (although the second time managed to increase day rate and work from home).

But there is nothing worse than fretting or stressing for hardly any money only because you feel obliged to take it, imo.

MatNanPlus Sat 16-Aug-08 20:32:51

Could you reduce the office hours?

WideWebWitch Sun 17-Aug-08 08:50:24

Can you ask for a higher rate plus expenses?
And you do need to go in and negotiate. You can say sometihng like "I think we need to discuss this further before I agree to the contract. I would be prepared to do it if you could pay £x and I could do 2 days from home and 3 in the office" or whatever it is you want. You are in a strong position, they know you, they wnat you to do the job, it will cost them ££££ to go and find someone else, go for it.

Good luck.

PussinWellies Sun 17-Aug-08 11:47:47

Thanks all.
I Will Be Strong grin

bigspender30 Mon 18-Aug-08 12:35:15

How did you get on Pussinwellies?

PussinWellies Mon 18-Aug-08 15:36:33

They're agreeing to pay a higher freelance rate, with two days in the office at busy times, one day per week otherwise, and the rest from home. I'm pretty happy with that!

Thanks everyone. Next challenge (looks round at piles of holiday detritus) is definitely going to be to find a cleaner...

bigspender30 Mon 18-Aug-08 15:39:38

good for you!! thats great news!

WideWebWitch Mon 18-Aug-08 21:25:51

Oh that's great news, WELL DONE!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now