Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

claiming SMP when self employed

(8 Posts)
mabel1973 Wed 06-Aug-08 13:21:42

DH and I run a photography business. For tax purposes I declare that I work 16 hours a week for the business (i've no idea how many hours i do it's prob sometimes more, sometimes less) I am basically a SAHM for most of my time but am classed as a partner in the business. I don't draw a wage as such, but declare minimum earnings (i think last year, as the business was just starting up I declared about £3,000).

Does anyone know if i would be entitled to an maternity benefits? I am due to have my 3rd baby in november. And if so would it affect my tax in any other ways?

Elmosgirl Wed 06-Aug-08 13:24:15

You will be entitled to maternity allowance as long as you have been paying your national insurance, is not a great deal, about £117 por 39 weeks now.

mabel1973 Wed 06-Aug-08 13:29:26

thanks, i have been paying national insurance.
Is it easy to claim? I have been given a MAtB1 form this morning, from the midwife which says I need a MA1 form....! sigh

Elmosgirl Wed 06-Aug-08 13:31:44

Yes really easy, I am on it at the moment actually, if you go to the jobcentre website will tell you what you need to do, just make sure it's maternity allowance you search for rather than SMP

mabel1973 Wed 06-Aug-08 13:43:52

Thanks i'll have alook...i just have visions of it being along the same lines as claiming tax credits etc!!!!

TantieTowie Wed 06-Aug-08 13:47:06

No, I did it - it's really easy. You can also now work for 10 days during maternity leave, they're called keeping in touch days.

SheikYerbouti Wed 06-Aug-08 13:49:12

You will still need your Mat B1 form, as this staes that your are pregnant and that you are entitled to maternity pay

You get your MA1 form from the dole office. Yiu have to send over some proof of earnings (They will tell you waht you need to provide)

It's asy to apply for and you tget a desicion quickly.

The rule of thumb is that you get 117 a week if you earn more than that normally or 90% of your weekly earnings if it is normally less.

mabel1973 Wed 06-Aug-08 15:07:19

thanks - that's great smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now