Talk

Advanced search

Are there any jobs I can do from home that don't include selling Avon?

(20 Posts)
Dreadfulwoman Sun 03-Aug-08 09:27:33

I'm no good at selling Avon/doing parties/ that kind of thing. Are there other things you can do from home to bring money in? Like envelope stuffing or typing or something? Where do I find out about them? We really need some money coming in, but dd starts school mornings only until mid oct and then I start uni, so want to be able to be flexible about working hours. Any advise would be so helpful!

kitbit Sun 03-Aug-08 09:44:17

ebaying - can you make or find a product that you could sell? carbooting? proof reading?

kitbit Sun 03-Aug-08 09:44:31

what are your strengths?

overthemill Tue 05-Aug-08 10:35:48

babysitting/CM is a good one
work at the school?

brimfull Tue 05-Aug-08 10:38:34

sex chat line wink

cornsilk Tue 05-Aug-08 10:40:37

I ended up at an interview for a sex chat line by accident once. It was a most bizarre experience.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 05-Aug-08 10:50:33

Not worth registereing as a childminder as she is off to Uni

What about those text party line things? You do it on the PC

overthemill Tue 05-Aug-08 10:52:45

what do you mean mrs fluffle?
oh and ad hoc child minding can be good income through uni - a friend did this

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 05-Aug-08 10:57:43

text party lines are waste of time unless you can type and think at 100 words per second! you only get 5 p a text. i am fast typer and think on my feet but working on average 2 hours a night for a month i only made £50

Koshka Tue 05-Aug-08 14:05:43

how do you get a job doing that?!
where do they advertise?

Housemum Tue 05-Aug-08 20:38:08

Is that the sort of thing that they advertise on late night telly - so drunk people text thinking you're a hot babe or something? Where do you find jobs like that, never seen one advertised?

solidgoldbrass Tue 05-Aug-08 22:04:32

WRT to Avon/Bettaware: you don't have to do the parties or harass people, you can make a bit of money by just sticking the catalogues through people's doors, collecting the orders and then delivering the goods. Avon and Bettaware assign you specific roads to deliver to so you don't get the problem some of the other catalogue companies get where three or four different reps are hitting the same houses (and annoying the crap out of householders who might have bought something now and again if they weren't being so bombarded with brochures).

There's always woo&bollocks if you either are actually into that sort of thing or can fake it convincingly (crystal healling, tarot reading etc).

Orinoco Tue 05-Aug-08 22:07:01

Message withdrawn

solidgoldbrass Tue 05-Aug-08 22:34:09

Second vote for mystery shopping: but would add that basically to work from home you need two or three things that all have flexible hours.
BTW do you have a car? If so you could do market research for the company I have been working for (my work with them is drying up as I am car free but other than that they are decent employers).

Dreadfulwoman Wed 06-Aug-08 11:19:17

thank you all so much. I used to work in admin so proof Reading etc would be great-I can't believe how many of you got back to me! Thank you all so much xx

Dreadfulwoman Wed 06-Aug-08 11:20:38

ooh and yes I have a car-what does that involve solid? Xx

solidgoldbrass Wed 06-Aug-08 22:19:49

It's market research with targeted addresses: you have to go to a specific area and get people to do surveys on all sorts (might be yoghurt, might be insurance, might be should-we-get-out-of-Europe).
The company is called Kantar Operations and they are happy to take on people who only want to work a couple of days a week.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 06-Aug-08 22:21:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hughjarssss Thu 07-Aug-08 10:38:16

solidgoldbrass - is there any way I can involved with doing market research? I have a car and I am free in the day time

Dreadfulwoman Thu 07-Aug-08 23:38:49

That sounds brilliant! Thank you so much!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now