Talk

Advanced search

Occasional nanny/babysitter

(10 Posts)
chickydee Mon 28-Jul-08 15:36:10

I am seriously thinking about becoming an occasional nanny, which would mean that anyone could book me for a few hours,here and there, for evenings out,a trip to the hairdressers,a shopping trip etc, so the mum,dad,or both could go out in peace.
I can work most days and any evening,and i am a qualified NNEB,first aid,and I have 2 kids of my own aged 12 and 6.
what do you think? would this service interest you? And how much would you be willing to pay per hour?
Thanks x

TeaDr1nker Mon 28-Jul-08 15:40:58

You sound great, i think in todays society someone with a little more childcare qualifications goes a long way. Not sure where you could advertise, depends on where you are in the country. I know where we are there a quartely mgazines that come out for people with kids - like a local info/whats on/to do thing. There are babysitting companies that advertise in there.

I guess the only Q i have is if you are employed as a nanny who pays your tax?

I am lucky i have someone like you who comes to me for 4hr/week - she is a godsend. Worth her weight in gold. But a luxury i know.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 15:41:10

I mostly use teenagers for this service, these days, but my two are nearly-4 and nearly-7.

I pay anything from 6.50 to 9/hour, depending on the carer, for my two, in Zone 2 London.

overthemill Wed 30-Jul-08 12:32:26

register here on my site if you want it is free and we do have lots of parents who use it

chickydee Wed 30-Jul-08 19:18:42

Thanks overthemill,have done

phraedd Sun 03-Aug-08 14:59:41

chickydee this is what i do too as well as materniy work and i am very busy!

My website (if you want to take a look) is:

www.mummyknowsbest.co.uk

chickydee Mon 04-Aug-08 15:41:06

Hi Phraedd,
I looked at your website, fantastic! Do you actually make money from this though (and dont take this the wrong way!), as when I said i would charge about 7.50 per hour people were saying "i can get a teenager for much less than that!" so it kind of disheartened me a bit.
I would prefer to work during the day, as emergency childcare/nanny sort of thing, but doubt anyone up here would pay anything more than about 4 quid an hour!

phraedd Sat 09-Aug-08 17:06:15

I am so busy that I am having to turn work away! Reccommendations from previous families are also now coming in which is fantstic.......It shows that my clients think that I am worth the amount I am charging!

I guess it depends on what the parents are looking for..... my families are looking for a mature, experienced nanny (and all that that entails). I think that alot of the families that I work for also like the fact that iI am a mum myself and not "just" a nanny.

I charge £20 per hour for emergency childcare and people still call me to ask if I am available for emergency care. I do live in quite an affluent area though.......that may make a difference too, I don't know.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do though
xx

overthemill Mon 11-Aug-08 15:29:48

i am confident that ad hoc/emergency childcare would be really really poular. i cant begin to think how often i've had to cancel freelance work away from home because my dd is ill (she has a chronic condition and is often ill) and my dh's job has to take priority.

i have tried to come up with a solution via my website but reckon there is so much need for this particular kind of child care.

Tinies does emergency child care now so there must be a market or they would nt be doing it

Nel12 Wed 13-Aug-08 10:48:20

I subscribed to the website by overthemill, but only one person out of six contacted me back who sounds great but is not suitable to look after under 5s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now