Talk

Advanced search

I've just found you all (big waves)

(15 Posts)
nippersnappers Mon 14-Jul-08 11:33:53

I've not been on mumsnet for a while and I've only just found this fantastic new topic.
Is there a list anywhere that I can stick my details down on?
I am a children's portrait and wedding photographer working from Edinburgh and covering Scotland.

bubblerock Mon 14-Jul-08 13:54:14

Hi - you can put an ad on the small business section. I'm going to once I finally finish my website! How's business?

nippersnappers Mon 14-Jul-08 14:17:35

Not too bad, bubblerock.

Started NipperSnappers in January and the WeddingSnappers site will be ready to go live in the next few weeks.

Had a slow start but I'm finding that business is picking up more through word of mouth than any advertising I've paid for so far.

How about you? What kind of business do you run?

Do you think that powers that be will allow us to put our web addresses on our profiles since they have started this topic?

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 14:19:15

hey,nice photos of your dcs nippersnappers ! I love black and white portraits- pity I'm so far from Edinburgh smile

nippersnappers Mon 14-Jul-08 14:23:39

Thanks MAS.

I love B&W too, they never seem to age do they? Unlike the kids who age far too quick smile

Love the pics on your profile, he looks all proper grown up!

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 14:27:08

thank you - I'd love to have a b&w studio pic of him before he gets teenagery !!

nippersnappers Mon 14-Jul-08 14:29:25

Where are you based MAS?

Anywhere near Newcastle cos I get down there a fair bit to see my family?

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 14:33:55

I'm miles and miles away down in the south of England !! love Edinburgh though, but not planning a trip up this year !

nippersnappers Mon 14-Jul-08 14:39:29

Don't blame you MAS,

It's costing me a fortune in petrol just to go see me dear old ma grin

Edinburgh is lovely, it feels more like home than Newcastle these days but it took a while to feel settled.

You can take the girl out of Newcastle and all that wink

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 14:42:16

do you do wedding ones in b&w too ?

nippersnappers Mon 14-Jul-08 14:48:18

I shoot everything in colour, and then when I'm editing the photos I save a B&W version too.

This means that when my client gets their contact sheet, they see every image in both colour and B&W, and they can choose which they prefer.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 14:57:35

that's a great idea - I sometimes change my colour pics into b&w - there's a nice one I did of ds when he was five that was sweet in colour but much nicer in monochrome. I did a fair bit of photography at art school many years ago - we developed and printed our own b&w 35mm films - I even built a makeshift dark room under the stairs to develop the film in !

nippersnappers Mon 14-Jul-08 15:13:58

I transformed my bedroom into a dark room while I was college.

Used it once, it stunk the house out (obviously).

The blacked out windows were great for hangover sleep though, slept a whole weekend once grin

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 14-Jul-08 15:32:59

grin !

quickdrawmcgraw Mon 21-Jul-08 21:25:47

nippersnappers-I'm doing very similar work to you at the moment.grin
Our prices are similar too which is a relief because I never know how to price myself. I'm in Dublin so no competition wink
What cameras do you use? and do you use lighting? We could pick eachothers brains. I use a Canon Eos with 3 different lenses. A 50mm 1.4, a 60 mm macro (mainly for close ups of babies) and a 70-200mm for when the children are running around outside.
here's my photography site

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now