Talk

Advanced search

DH starting out and not very financially minded...

(13 Posts)
Jojo12 Sun 13-Jul-08 22:50:58

Hi, DH hates his job and is seriously thinking of resigning to become a freelancer (he's a journalist). I'm a bit worried about the practicalities of him sorting out his own NI/tax/pension etc - I'm usually the (somewhat limited) financial brain of the house but I can't stretch to doing his tax returns etc! He would be working from home, so is it possible to claim back some household expenses (utilities, council tax, childcare?) against his tax bill? Is this the sort of thing an accountant would help with? Is it even worth getting an accountant for a 'one man band'? Sorry for being really basic here, but I just want to make sure we're properly thinking through his switch to self-employment.

Thanks!

WestMidsAccounts Mon 14-Jul-08 08:50:20

Don't worry. Accountants have a lot of 'one man band' clients. They will be delighted if you speak to them before DH switches to self-employment - far too many people turn up after the event, when it is too late to put any planning in place!
Most Accountants will offer a free initial meeting and, if you 'click' with the Accountant, you can take it from there. S/he will give you a quote up-front.

hiccymapops Mon 14-Jul-08 08:56:30

I had exactly the same concernd with my husband who's just gone self employed/started his own one man company. He's terrible at keeping things in order, i usually see to all the household stuff, but don't think i can handle doing the books/ tax returns etc. He's seen an accountant that was recommended, and he's been a great help. He's doing absolutely everything for us, books, tax returns and given him loads of advice as to what can be claimed for. It's definately worth having a word with one in my opinion.

Good luck.

bubblerock Mon 14-Jul-08 09:05:10

NI is easy - we just set up a direct debit and it comes out monthly.

Jojo12 Mon 14-Jul-08 11:55:11

Thanks, especially for the advice re speaking to an accountant before the switch. Apart from personal recommendations, how do you find a good accountant, other than sticking a pin in Yellow Pages?!

hiccymapops Mon 14-Jul-08 17:34:06

To be honest, the friend that referred us just got the number from the yellow pages. I think he was lucky that he got a really good one though, a few friends have changed to him now. But if the first consultations free (not sure if they all are) you could just see who you're comfortable with.

cadelaide Mon 14-Jul-08 17:35:50

Ask around, we got a fab accountant thro word-of-mouth

hiccymapops Mon 14-Jul-08 17:36:12

If you're anywhere in Yorkshire, near Leeds, i'll give you the number grin

Sam100 Mon 14-Jul-08 17:38:47

You can find a chartered accountant (if that is what you are after) here.

There are different types of accountant - chartered is just one type.

Wormseverywhere Mon 14-Jul-08 18:36:10

Best to find someone through word of mouth. And I would throughly recommend getting the accountant to do your self-assessment for the first year, but after then you can probably follow what they've done for subsequent years, and save yourself a fortune!

Jojo12 Wed 16-Jul-08 23:48:50

Ta again for the advice - and hiccymapops, if I still lived in Sheffield I could have taken you up on your kind offer of that phone number, but living in Glasgow now so a bit too far away!

Niecie Wed 16-Jul-08 23:59:39

Yes, you can claim back some household expenses under 'use of home as office'. Stuff like electricity, heating, phone etc. Can't remember how it works and DH has gone to bed so can't ask him.

Agree on getting an accountant - doesn't have to be chartered, could be certified but I would definitely go for somebody who is qualified to get max benefit from them. Don't go to a large firm - they charge too much. Try and find a small firm. They often charge a fixed fee so you will know where you are.

Most have websites these days so you could google for accountants in your area.

TracyK Thu 17-Jul-08 19:44:45

Jojo - my friend does 'one man' type self assessments. She lives in Houston - anywhere near you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now