Talk

Advanced search

how do you work out your phone bills for the taxman?

(14 Posts)
hatwoman Thu 10-Jul-08 20:20:09

just set out on this self-employed lark (and am delighted to see we now have our own topic!). I don't have big outgoings and lots of invoices so my book-keeping is quite straightforward - but I wondered what people did about their phone bills...I haven't got a work phone and I don;t particularly want one - I already have 2 telephone numbers - I really don't want a third. but picking out work phone calls from an itemised bill is a nightmare - (and in any case not sure what I'll do as my bill has some free minutes anyway) and my land line bill isn't itemised anyway. what do people do to keep the taxman happy whilst claiming business expenses?

caykon Thu 10-Jul-08 20:57:33

we just claim for half, tax man seems happy

sinclair Fri 11-Jul-08 21:47:41

I claim for 15% which is the percentage I claim for other utilities. My business number is our regular number, and I only work part time but sounds like I could be claiming a bit more!

Wormseverywhere Sat 12-Jul-08 11:00:07

You need to speak to the HMRC and agree an percentage. They are very nice actually and very helpful smile

laundrylover Sat 12-Jul-08 11:15:20

We se the home phone so have a package where we pay a pittance and all calls are then free (Tiscali). Not sure how DP then divvies it up but this is much easier than going thorugh bills.

hatwoman Sat 12-Jul-08 12:04:32

I am thinking that what I might do is, for the first few months, go through my bills and work out an average percentage. - basically so that I can justify whatever percentage I come up with - but worms is right - I should speak to them and see what they say.

Gobbledigook Sat 12-Jul-08 12:28:15

I always keep meaning to add up the calls I make that are work related, from my monthly bill but I never get round to it. I just stick about £20 on my expenditure (and it's more than that but I can't be bothered to work it out!).

laundrylover Mon 14-Jul-08 11:11:10

If you are using your home number why don't you go on an inclusive call deal? We only pay £7.50 a month for all landline calls and get free line rental (or should do if Tiscali pull their finger out!). That way there is no bill sorting to do!

hatwoman Mon 14-Jul-08 13:16:01

depends how picky you want to be - a certain proportion of that £7.50 is a work expense. so if it was half you could save yourself oooo let me think....about 25 percent of 3.75 a month....grin.

do you know what? I don;t even know what happens to our land-line bills blush I have a feeling they're something to do with the telly and the internet....and I think it is an inclusive deal. maybe I should find out hmm

laundrylover Mon 14-Jul-08 13:30:03

Yes Hatwoman that's what our's are - tied up with the broadband. I just meant that is was simpler if your bill was the same each month and then you just submitted a proportion of it IYSWIM? Am desperately trying to reduce my massive tax bill heregrin.

Is a trip to the spa with other freelancers tax deductable????

hattyyellow Mon 14-Jul-08 13:51:47

We use our home phone and have a great package with BT where all calls are included across the UK all day. It's very cheap and we only pay something like £5 more a month to have it. I therefore don't bother claiming it back..

furrycat Mon 14-Jul-08 13:59:13

Hattyyellow what's the package called please?

hattyyellow Mon 14-Jul-08 14:25:02

Furrycat I haven't got the file with me, but I'm pretty sure it's this one - BT Anytime.

www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=23736

laundrylover Mon 14-Jul-08 14:57:32

We have this one - similar I think?

tiscali

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now