Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed for becoming a successful freelancer

(11 Posts)
bling1 Tue 08-Jul-08 10:56:59

I'm due to return to work next month and like most mums don't want to leave my 9 month DD. I've got over 13 years experience in marketing and am considering trying to get freelance work with a view of becoming totally freelance in the not too distant future. I'd really appreciate any feedback on how anyone got started, especially advice in obtaining clients/projects. I'm hoping working for myself will give me a bit more freedom, but unfortunately I need to earn a good income, so I need to make it work! Thanks

TantieTowie Tue 08-Jul-08 15:54:40

I started freelancing from having a job, rather than after children, so my experience may be different.

I've always got most of my work through word of mouth - people need something doing and they think of you - so make sure people know what you're doing and what kind of customers you'd like to do it for. Your existing employer might have work for you - but it's usually difficult to suss that out while you're still working there.

Be aware though that it's liable to be quite a difficult market in the next year or so, so if you rely on a high salary you might want to think carefully before you take the plunge. Also read the other freelance threads too - it can be harder to concentrate and get stuff done when you're working for yourself at times. That's always true, but particularly if you don't have that much on.

overthemill Wed 30-Jul-08 13:00:17

where do you live? i a a member of WIRE (Women in rural enterprises) and their networking/website is very useful
my advice is network all you can and make time for it - build it into your working week.
contact EVERYBODY you know and tell them you are doing this and ask them to think of you/recommend you

motherinferior Wed 30-Jul-08 13:02:35

Get a good accountant.

You do know you'll still need childcare, don't you? If you want to earn a living, you need to spend quite a lot of time working!

elliott Wed 30-Jul-08 13:16:27

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Wed 30-Jul-08 13:18:43

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

elliott Wed 30-Jul-08 13:21:29

I'm blush now - why funny?

motherinferior Wed 30-Jul-08 13:23:29

Only in a haha! Cor! how hilarious, way. How did you work that out?

motherinferior Wed 30-Jul-08 13:26:18

It was the head teacher's civil ceremony, wasn't it.

elliott Wed 30-Jul-08 13:27:44

Message withdrawn

elliott Wed 30-Jul-08 13:28:34

No, I am not so much in the inner circle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now