Talk

Advanced search

Childcare solutions for new baby if working from home..

(8 Posts)
hattyyellow Mon 07-Jul-08 15:48:18

Just figuring our childcare when DC3 comes along. For those of you who have kids and who work from home - do you reckon it would work if I got a mother's help type person?

I'm thinking that if I'm working upstairs and I only need someone to look after the baby a couple of mornings per week whilst the older kids are at nursery - do I really need a nanny?

I just need someone to keep an eye on/play with the baby, give them a bottle or bring them up to me for a feed - maybe stick the washing machine on and do some hoovering/ironing etc.

I can take the babe to coffee groups etc on my days off. So I need someone with common sense and trustworthiness rather than someone to be taking them out and about every day with the qualifications of a nanny.

Does that sound feasible? Or would I be running downstairs and making my clients cross everytime I heard the baby cry?

Does this sort of person exist?

Saymyname Mon 07-Jul-08 15:57:40

Dunno, but I have been wondering the same thing so will watch with interest. Think it might be au pair territory..

flowerybeanbag Mon 07-Jul-08 16:01:33

Not sure I'd get a mother's help for a new baby - depends when you are planning to start after DC3 is born, how old he/she will be. If it's literally only 2 mornings you will be working, maybe might be ok though?

I have a nanny, she works 3 days, 8.30-2.30. I like that she takes DS out and about, gives me some peace and I'm better able to concentrate on what I'm doing. I also relax completely about DS being fine, which I wouldn't with a mother's help.

hattyyellow Mon 07-Jul-08 16:07:55

Cheers Flowery. Sorry should have been more clear, I'm hoping to take at least 4-5 months off but financially I think I'll have to start back at least a few mornings after that.

I wondered if I could find a mothers help type person that seemed very calm, competent and was maybe a retired person that I would be happy being just upstairs in case they did need me..

It's partly financial - I would never compromise the care of my new baby, I just wondered if I need a nanny if it's only for a few mornings..imagine a nanny costs a lot more?

My older DD's are twins and will get early years funding at nursery until the summer holiday and then will be at school from next September so I don't know if it's worth getting a nanny for all three just for the summer...

Saymyname no room for an au pair sadly!

nannynick Mon 07-Jul-08 17:33:40

Having worked as a nanny for parents who worked at home... one issue is Sound. Sound travels, so unless your 'office' will be significantly far away from the general living area, then you will hear things going on which can disturb your work.
It can work well, when a parent works from home, but isn't in the same building - such as using an outhouse in the garden.

So to answer one of your questions... yes, you may be running downstairs and making your clients cross, as it will be hard for you to not respond to your babies cry.

Could you work 1 or 2 days a week, instead of mornings? You may find it easier to find full-day. For example, a childminder may be able to care for your baby say 8am-5pm and may be able to pick up your other 2 children from school as well. That way your children have you 6 days a week, and a childminder the other day. Could that work, or does your work dictate that you have to work various mornings?

hattyyellow Mon 07-Jul-08 18:04:32

Thanks Nannynick that's really helpful stuff. My office is right up above the sitting room/kitchen so noise would travel.

I'm probably forgetting how much more plaintive a newborn cry is than a toddler (where most of the time you can tell the world isn't actually ending they've just dropped their favourite book etc!)

We live pretty rurally and there's only one registered childminder in the surrounding villages who I wouldn't be keen on my baby going to.

I work to fit in around my husband's work, he's also self-employed but has to do fixed days..

Maybe I'd be better off looking at a nanny share? I need to really test the waters for both don't I and see who's out there..

Lyndiloo Mon 21-Jul-08 19:05:07

have you considered a doula? I am a doula and about to start helping a mum with an 8 week old who is working one day a week from home. A doula has expert knowledge about babies and is flexible and happy to do chores, cook, etc as well.

phraedd Sun 03-Aug-08 15:04:33

or an ad hoc nanny?

As most doulas only deal with little babies, a nanny may suit you better as they will be happy to stay around long term maybe on a self employed, ad hoc basis.

If you're anywhere in Herts, then I may be able to help you wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now