Talk

Advanced search

Can I get rid of phone statements?

(2 Posts)
littlemisscomper Sun 27-Jan-19 20:36:12

In 2016 and 2017 I was still being sent paper statements for my mobile phone bill. I don't think I am any more, but do I need to keep the old ones in case I'm investigated by the tax man? I mean I doubt I will be, I just provide childcare on a self-employed basis for pennies, but I don't want to make things more complicated than they would be otherwise if I were! Obviously my bank statements have a record of my monthly phone bill on them anyway. Can I get rid of the phone-related paperwork?

dodobookends Sun 27-Jan-19 20:47:35

I'd keep it anyway - a friend of mine was in a similar situation, then changed banks and phone suppliers.

Cue an inspection, and he couldn't provide documents because it was all online and he couldn't access his old accounts any more. It cost him a lot of hassle and money to get copies.

Just stick the stuff in a large envelope with the tax year it relates to on the front, put it at the bottom of a drawer somewhere, and when the 7 years are up, get rid of it then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: