Talk

Advanced search

self assessment tax bill

(7 Posts)
wizzywig Sun 30-Dec-18 19:37:06

For the first time since I went self employed I need to pay tax. Will HMRC send me a separate email stating the amount I need to pay or do I just go by the amount calculated in the self-assessment that I have just submitted? Thanks

Stickerrocks Mon 31-Dec-18 15:58:08

You use your tax calculation. HMRC will NEVER email you and any emails you do receive are likely to be a scam. There are very clear instructions on the HMRC website telling you how to pay. Make sure that you include your UTR (Unique Tax Ref) as the reference to link the payment to your account.

JinglingHellsBells Tue 01-Jan-19 10:06:34

It tells you what you owe when you reach the end of your online self assessment. You can pay directly by BACS etc or by cheque.

NewPinkSocks Thu 03-Jan-19 20:51:33

They will also send you a letter stating the amount you need to oay which should be the same as what you calculated online through your self assessment

wizzywig Thu 03-Jan-19 21:29:04

thanks everyone. i went into my SA account today and ended up setting up a budget payment scheme that ends in the beginning of july.

delilahbucket Sat 05-Jan-19 22:46:17

HMRC will email you when a payment is due, if you have set up email alerts. Their emails are very basic, containing very little information, and are only addressed as "dear customer", but they also have no links in them, they just say to log onto your account. Everything you need to know is available when you log on to your account, including payments due and dates you need to pay by. Payments are usually made on January 31st and July 31st. If your tax bill is over £1000, you also pay towards the following year.

MacarenaFerreiro Sun 06-Jan-19 09:53:04

Yes, I get emails from them saying things like "please remember to complete your self-assessment by 31st January" but never demands for payment or even more dodgy, offers of a refund.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: