Talk

Advanced search

Which email address for new business?

(9 Posts)
MaryPlain59 Sun 10-Jun-18 08:51:55

I am starting a self employed business and wondered what would be considered the most professional email provider address to set up (eg: business@hotmail/business@gmail etc)? Would really appreciate any advice.

laptopdisaster Sun 10-Jun-18 08:53:08

not hotmail or gmail. ideally your own doman "Mary@mybusiness.co.uk"

great username by the way, I love the Mary Plain books!

alternate Sun 10-Jun-18 08:54:16

Never hotmail! Gmail is a better option but can’t you get a proper business address somehow? mary@businessname.com looks much more professional.

MaryPlain59 Sun 10-Jun-18 09:31:38

Thank you both for your very helpful advice, I really appreciate it x

GrainneWail Sun 10-Jun-18 09:35:23

If you have a website you should have a matching email. You can use Gmail as your email server if you want, but I agree with others that your domain is a much better email address to have.

MaryPlain59 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:13:50

Thank you all for your help. Is there a cost for having the email address you have suggested and do you have to already have a website set up before getting that email address? (I haven't set up my website as yet).

pacer142 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:23:37

Yes, there is a cost to buy the domain name and host it. Some provide hosting free if you buy the domain through them. The domain name can be very cheap, maybe £10-£25. I have lots of domains and literally dozens of email addresses, which I bought from freeola.com/free-email/ who do the hosting. There are similar firms such as www.123-reg.co.uk/email-hosting/. You could do a quick google for others.

MaryPlain59 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:26:44

Thank you so much pacer, that really helps me alot x

lljkk Thu 14-Jun-18 20:22:41

@gmail is fine, hotmail is tainted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: