Talk

Advanced search

Help - pensions for LTD couple

(7 Posts)
windowboxes Mon 29-Jan-18 16:21:54

DH and I are both freelancers, we work through a LTD for various clients, similar areas of expertise. We are both mid 30s and neither of us have a pension.....

Can anyone advise what they have / how they set it up and where I should start. We can afford to put away a decent amount currently, maybe £500 a month each BUT i know this will no way make up for the 15 years of not doing! Also can you increase / decrease payments as you need to e.g. if work slows down etc?

windowboxes Mon 29-Jan-18 16:23:31

I should say we have no employees other than the two of us (both Directors) and therefore I believe we don't need a workplace pension scheme so am thinking about personal ones.

fourmileswide Wed 31-Jan-18 14:28:33

Have you spoken to your accountant? They will probably know the most tax-efficient way of doing this, or be able to put you in touch with someone who can advise you.

Hoppinggreen Wed 31-Jan-18 21:49:40

We are in a similar position
Our accountant pointed us in the direction of a Financial Advisor who can set up a company pension for us and I have an appointment with her next week

Flomper Wed 31-Jan-18 21:51:12

is it an IFA or a particular company?

Hoppinggreen Sun 04-Feb-18 21:51:44

Local IFA
I will speak to a couple to look at the options. Not all IFAs are knowledgeable about Directors pension schemes though so you need to research a bit

Alpestris Sat 10-Feb-18 15:18:06

Definitely find a local IFA who can advise you. My IFA comes to the house for a meeting every 6 months or so to discuss pensions and ISAs etc. He's paid commission directly from the companies I invest in so it's all very simple. Massive peace of mind. & yes, get your pensions sorted ASAP!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: