Talk

Advanced search

Maternity Leave - transferred to the father

(5 Posts)
rider1975 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:24:48

Hello ladies
I’m finding it difficult to find the answer to my question. I am self employed and will not be claiming Maternity Allowance as the companies I contract to have proposed to continue making payments to me for 13 weeks during the time I’ll give birth (I will invoice them in the usual way at 90% of my average earnings). My partner, who is a normal employee under PAYE, will have been working for around 17-18 weeks when I am 25 weeks pregnant. As I understand it from HMRC website, he’s not entitled to anything at all. However, as I am not claiming anything at all myself, can I transfer any of my right to claim to him?
Thanks very much

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 13:55:59

You are maybe talking about shared paternity leave but you both need to qualify for that too

www.gov.uk/shared-parental-leave-and-pay/eligibility

rider1975 Mon 13-Nov-17 15:24:38

Thanks Pixie. As my partner has only been in his job 18 weeks, I don’t believe he is eligible for anything.

delilahbucket Mon 13-Nov-17 18:23:55

You can still continue to earn from your business while claiming maternity allowance I believe, as long as you do not actually work more than the allowed keeping in touch days.

rider1975 Mon 13-Nov-17 20:56:53

Thanks Delilah. The 3 entities I work for will all allow me to invoice them for 13 weeks at 90% of my average earnings so I’m not going to claim any benefits - it’s as if I had continued working. I thought my partner could therefore take my rights to some time off and claim something as I shan’t

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now