Talk

Advanced search

Imposter Syndrome...

(5 Posts)
PoppyPopcorn Mon 09-Oct-17 14:57:09

I've been self-emplyoed for about 10 years now, mostly as a web content writer but sometimes with some other things like researh chucked in. Digital marketing, social media, SEO that sort of thing.

I've been approached by my kids' secondary school to attend one of their skills workshops things along with other local business people or workers in creative industries to talk about what I do and open the senior pupils' eyes to work possibilities.

Having a major case of "don't think I should go as I don't really have anything to say, I'm not special in any way and everyone has much more contribute than I do".

ilovekitkats Mon 09-Oct-17 15:00:42

Sounds like you'd be perfect to talk about work grin . Seriously though, your skills are very relevant to today's job market and kids love social /digital media!

Can you do a PowerPoint presentation or demonstrate how to build a dummy website? Then advertise it all over with your SEO and media?
I'm sure they would love it.

PoppyPopcorn Mon 09-Oct-17 15:05:29

I think it's more a "circulate and chat" thing than a talks thing. On one hand it will be great - digital marketing is such a new thing and nobody ever said to me when I was at school that working for yourself was evne an option, it was all "get a proper job with a big company".

However - they have people going who are running their own marketing agencies and winning awards for their art - AAAAARRGGHHHH!

SwedishEdith Mon 09-Oct-17 15:09:46

I'd rather hear what you do though, as it's more accessible and attainable. But I'm not at school.

PoppyPopcorn Mon 09-Oct-17 17:13:03

You're both very kind. I think the point of the event is a bit of business networking which will do me no harm at all, and to show the students that the traditional path of school - uni - 9-5 office job isn't the only way to make a living.

it will be fun. And I have been promised croissants and coffee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now