Talk

Advanced search

Selling Online

(11 Posts)
gigi556 Thu 05-Oct-17 22:13:34

I'm sure this has been done to death and I know that a quick google will return many a blog about how someone is making money on eBay or Amazon or whatever, but I was hoping to find out if there were any Mumsnetters making money selling stuff online?

I'm on maternity leave and I'd like to make some money. Does anyone sell used items on eBay? I'm thinking just stuff around the house and then maybe sourcing stuff from charity shops or local auction house. I've tried selling a few items on Facebook selling pages and on Shpock and I was surprised how few Enquiries I got... I'm in Yorkshire. When I lived in London, it was so easy to sell stuff I no longer wanted. Anyway, I've never sold on eBay. If I'm finding the right things is it "easy" to make money. How much do you make full time or on the side on eBay or elsewhere?

Hamiltoes Fri 06-Oct-17 18:31:57

I sell on Ebay, Amazon, website etc but its a business rather than just on the side. I don't think "clearout" sellers make a lot on Ebay or Facebook anymore. Facebook perhaps for furniture- a fireplace or dining table for example will be much more likely to have people tagging others they know are looking for them. I'm on all the "selling in your area" pages and hardly ever see the shoes, clothes, kids stuff go. Maybe because its not huge amounts to buy what you actually want brand new.

There are things you can do as a sideline though. I did match betting just before the football season ended and made £600 that month, although I did have a fairly big pot of savings I used to start with and was pretty commited (think there are threads on the money section).

You could try Ebay and sell brand new products bought from suppliers but I don't think you'll make a lot to start with. Business sellers have selling limits to start, so you might only be able to list 100 products within a month. If you can make £10/£20 profit on a product then it might be ok, but people tend to look elsewhere for pricey items. And you'll find that if suppliers are easy to find then the market will be saturated. That said, if you can find yourself a nieche then that is half the battle! I'm a member of wholesale deals (its a yearly one off payment) and have found a few great nieche suppliers there that I hadn't previously by searching google.

Sorry thats just my ramblings, best of luck with whatever you decide.

delilahbucket Sat 07-Oct-17 10:36:10

It is very hard to make money buying to sell and people will not tell you if they do, how they do it, to avoid competition. I wouldn't recommend eBay to a new seller anymore. The company has made it a very difficult place to sell. I say that with 14 years experience of running a business on there.
I don't sell much personally anymore, I tend to charity shop stuff. Too much hassle selling them.
If you do decide to go down the route of buying from charity shops to sell on, you must make sure you register as self employed with HMRC and gave a business eBay and PayPal account. You must be compliant with the Consumer Contracts Regulations and you must inform your mortgage company or landlord and home insurer. It is not something you can do on a whim.

gigi556 Sun 08-Oct-17 18:05:43

Yes, understand reference setting up as an actual business informing HMRC, mortgage, etc.

I'm now thinking a vintage Etsy shop might be better. I have some bigger ideas for selling online full time but they will take some time to materialize and much more financial investment whereas I guess I was thinking along the lines of how can I make some extra money right now with minimal time and financial investment.

Was more looking for success or utter failure stories...

FEMENERGY Mon 09-Oct-17 18:20:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

gigi556 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:30:48

@FEMENERGY I'll definitely look into Depop. I've tried Shpock with very limited success.

I've done a complete about turn! I think the vintage business is going to require too much time unless I can find things in a higher price bracket, but I was looking at mostly homewares and kitchen items.

I think I will try to sell stuff I have laying around the house while I keep my creative juices flowing to find a product/idea.

@Hamiltoes, I've had a quick look at the wholesale deals website. Subscription doesn't really seem that expensive. Do you have more than one online business? I guess I'm looking for a gap in the market, but also something I can get excited about. I'm probably not the only one!

delilahbucket Mon 09-Oct-17 20:00:05

Just bear in mind that everyone uses the same wholesalers from these online directories. You will find it extremely hard to make a profit.
I didn't add earlier, but I run four online stores and am very much a success story, but I've been doing it for six years (14 if you count previous businesses as well) and I had to find a niche. If you can find that then you sell it and you move onto the next thing. You need to be one step ahead always. You are right that everyone is looking for that gap in the market, but it can exist.

SleepFreeZone Mon 09-Oct-17 20:03:37

I know someone who made a fortune selling makeup online. I know she sold in various places like Amazon but I have no idea where she sourced her stock from (she was a lady in her late fifties/early sixties so I think it was all legit)

FEMENERGY Tue 10-Oct-17 14:52:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

delilahbucket Tue 10-Oct-17 21:22:11

Female you are misadvising the op. They do not need public liability insurance unless they have business visitors or are selling face to face such as at fairs or markets. Product liability, yes possibly, but not public liability.

delilahbucket Tue 10-Oct-17 21:24:06

To be honest Fem, you're not even trading legally in your Etsy store so I don't think you are best placed to advise someone how to run a business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now