Talk

Advanced search

Training as a coach

(8 Posts)
MaybeDoctor Fri 19-May-17 10:25:09

I am considering undertaking some form of training to become a coach.

The fields I am particularly interested in are life coaching and career coaching, with a particular view to supporting people in transition between different phases of life. My area has a lot of well-to-do SAHM and a lot of well-to-do retirees/near retirees, so the potential market seems good. I could also potentially use my own home to work in, although I am aware that there could be pros/cons to doing so.

I work part-time, have a professional qualification and some freelance projects on the go, so I have quite a few strings to my bow already. I already know that this won't equate to a fulltime wage, but I am interested in developing a practice that could provide me with work in the latter part of my life (I am in my early 40s).

Does anyone have any views on the best pathway to follow?
I have looked at a lot of profiles on LinkedIn and researched online. Names that seem to come up include:

Birkbeck – PG certificate in coaching
Newcastle college Online Level 2 and 3 courses
City university – Coaching for business short course
CPCAB courses
Animas
UEL Courses in applied psychology and career coaching
The Performance Coach Introductory and practitioner level courses.

I am aware that no qualification is needed, so one option might be to take an introductory course, see if there is a market out there, then take further training as needed.

Any views or suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Idoliketobebesidetheseaside Fri 19-May-17 16:13:19

Hi, I'm a coach and highly recommend it as a career! I think your idea of doing just an introductory course and seeing if there's a market is a good one. I'm fully qualified as an accredited coach, but the only one of my clients who's ever asked me about my qualifications turned out to be doing so because she's interested in training as a coach herself. So, obviously the training is useful but if you have an aptitude for coaching then getting a particular qualification isn't the most important thing to focus on. The tricky thing for coaches is usually more the 'business' side of things - working out how to find a steady flow of clients, how much to charge etc. and the courses don't usually help with that element. Hope this helps - I'm happy to have a bit more of a chat if you want to pm me...

MaybeDoctor Wed 24-May-17 11:01:30

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, that is my gut instinct - see what the market is and then take it from there, then I can acquire further qualifications as I go along.

Have you heard of any of those training providers, including any rumours perhaps? grin

The online course I am thinking of is from Newcastle College:

EDEXCEL Level 3 BTEC Certificate in Life Coaching Skills and Practice
•Unit 1 - Initiating a Life Coaching Process
•Unit 2 - Managing and Maintaining a Life Coaching Process
•Unit 3 - Conclusion, Review and Evaluation in a Life Coaching Process
•Unit 4 - Reflecting and Personal Development in Life Coaching
•Unit 5 - Theoretical Models in Life Coaching

Does that seem relevant/enough to get started?

I was also thinking of getting coaching myself, not just with a view to coaching, but also to build up my confidence for further freelance work (which is a possibility on the horizon).

Idoliketobebesidetheseaside Thu 25-May-17 14:13:59

Hi again,

It's a great idea to get some coaching yourself - it's amazing to me how few newbie coaches do this, and yet it's hard to convince other people to get coaching from you if you've never had any coaching yourself (it doesn't put you in a very strong position to argue how effective it is if you've never been coached!). And confidence is SUCH a big issue - I'm a business coach for creative entrepreneurs (and coaches) and honestly, if there's one single issue holding most women back from greater business success, it's confidence (whether that translates as fear of being visible/vulnerable, being held back by their own inner critic and perfectionism, etc).

I don't know much about the individual courses that you mention - I would start with something simple and not too expensive to dip a toe in the water and see how you enjoy it.

I can recommend a couple of good books on coaching if you're interested?

Shortymcshorty Tue 30-May-17 14:46:23

This is a useful thread to me too because I'm considering a similar career change, there do seem to be so many coaching courses and accrediting bodies out there. But the advice to start with something simple is very useful; I am qualified in a couple of great psychometric tools which work well for team and individual coaching and have a background in change management but I feel some coaching skills training would definitely boost my confidence

@ldoliketobebytheseaside I would be interested in your book recommendations please.

Idoliketobebesidetheseaside Tue 30-May-17 16:32:26

Hi Shorty, I'd recommend Co-Active Coaching by Kimsey-House, Sandahl and Whitworth and The Prosperous Coach by Steve Chandler & Rich Litvin. The first is on the techniques of coaching and the second is about the business side of finding clients. Good luck!

WannaBe Tue 30-May-17 16:45:39

Hi, I trained as a coach through animas or the smart school as it was back then. One of the things I would say about a face-to-face course is that it will give you the coaching practice you need both in terms of coaching and being coached. Something which is IMO vital if you want to actually practice as a coach.

Animas do run taster sessions which will give you an idea of the process etc if you're interested.

SummerKelly Sat 03-Jun-17 09:55:09

Check out whether courses meet accreditation standards with the lead bodies - ACF and there's another one - sorry for being vague, this is something I looked into then didn't do. It's probably not so important if you're not doing business coaching but still might be useful to have

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now