Talk

Advanced search

Any editors out there?

(2 Posts)
Fruitflylady Mon 08-May-17 13:51:09

I've been doing some editing in a voluntary capacity and some paid work (scientific editing and proof reading) over the last few years and want to bring in a bit more work. My question is, do you find it helpful to belong to a society or organisation of editors? And have you done any of their courses? Are they worthwhile?

RandomlyOrganized Fri 12-May-17 09:49:12

Sorry you haven't had a reply until now. I'm probably not going to be much help. I've been an editor (environmental field mainly) for a long time. You'll have found SfEP. Someone on here has mentioned another organization, but I can't remember the name. I had a dip in work flow and looked into whether joining SfEP might increase exposure. I wasn't clear whether my experience would allow me to skip some of the training. If it didn't, I'd have to cover a lot that I don't need - subject areas to some extent, but also hard-copy editing and proofing, which I haven't needed (thank goodness) for decades. But if I were allowed to skip the training, being one of their listed editors might give the impression that I have a wider competence than I actually have. I let the idea drop. I have no doubt that the training would have improved my competence in useful areas, but there was too much that I simply didn't want to be bothered with. I would have liked to do their organizational course, but was too disorganized to get around to it! For you, I'd say nothing beats experience (=I've made most mistakes there are to be made), so if you're confident that you know what professional editing and proofing entail, and that you are doing a good job, I would keep on as you are. I've generally got work by word of mouth. When I've applied formally I've often, to my surprise, been snapped up - but not always. If you do join an organization, I'd love to hear if it brings in more work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now