Advanced search

Maximising tax reductions - Ltd company

(12 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Thu 20-Apr-17 22:21:00

I know the advice is to get an accountant, and I do have one but a) they are rubbish (have refunded my 1st year's fees due to various mistakes / delays) and b) I don't trust them as a result. I'm looking for another one but in the meantime....

I want to check with people who are far more experienced at this than I am, if I am making the most of the tax offset available to me.

Last year, I invoiced approx 20k.

The following was deducted:
I pay myself via PAYE to meet the 11,000 threshold
I pay £243 a month directly to a childcare voucher provider
I pay £150 a month directly into a workplace pension as Employer payments
Mileage at 45p per mile to all client meetings and work related trips
All direct other travel expenses eg train / taxi / accommodation
Postage / stamps
Ink for printer
Total cost of phone contract
£208 annual working from home allowance
Couple of bits of furniture for my office
Laptop / case

Is there anything blindingly obvious that I should be claiming which I'm not??

OfflineFor40Years Sat 22-Apr-17 18:29:26

Any professional indemnity insurance? Membership or subscription costs for to an HMRC recognised body? Ongoing CPD? Antivirus or webhosting costs? Co Hse filing fees for Confirmation statement?

OfflineFor40Years Sat 22-Apr-17 18:31:52

Also you should use your dividend allowance (if you are not receiving dividends from elsewhere) to distribute any remaining profits after tax.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 23-Apr-17 20:02:56

Oh thank you much for replying!

I have maxed out my dividend allowance so that has helped.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 23-Apr-17 20:06:36

In all honesty, this came from another thread which a poster said 'most self employed people I know hardly pay any tax as everything is deductible' and I thought, hang on, I'm paying over a grand!

KevinKeegan Sun 23-Apr-17 20:07:18

The cost of the accountant (if still in the tax year), any bank charges. You can only claim the phone if it's in the business name not a personal one.

reawakeningambition Tue 25-Apr-17 22:18:24

"£208 annual working from home allowance"

What is this?

FusionChefGeoff Tue 25-Apr-17 23:17:06

It's a simplified way of claiming back costs of running a Ltd company from home. So to cover electricity, heating etc. HMRC set a fixed amount rather than getting into complicated calculations to split out 'home' use and 'work' use

reawakeningambition Wed 26-Apr-17 10:35:41


sounds good for me, I've been working out the slow and painful way for year.

ButLtd co? I think sole trader?

glitterglitters Wed 26-Apr-17 10:44:45

@reawakeningambition i would assume bills for heat, electric etc if a proportion of the work is undertaken from the home.

reawakeningambition Wed 26-Apr-17 10:53:22

terribly exciting!

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Mon 01-May-17 17:38:10

Ooooh place marking. DP has put me in charge of his books!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: