Talk

Advanced search

Invoicing for pro bono work

(7 Posts)
olderthanyouthink Tue 04-Apr-17 22:20:26

Posted in chat for traffic but here for relevance

I'm going to do some voluntary web design and development work for a charity, I'm not going to charge for it but having read some horror stories about people's work not being valued when working for free I thought that sending out invoices (with 100% discount) would be a good way of reminding the client that what they are getting is worth something.

I also think it would be good practice for if/when I start doing freelancing. And it would set a professional tone to treat it like that.

Do you think that would be ok? And are there any laws that say I can't do this would get me in trouble with HMRC?

BuckingFrolicks2 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:22:10

Yes that's fine and a good idea. No problem with HMRC.

ImperialBlether Tue 04-Apr-17 22:23:24

That's a really great idea.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 04-Apr-17 22:23:27

Can't advise re HMRC, but for setting the tone and making them aware of the value of your work, I think that's an excellent idea.

AnisQiz Wed 05-Apr-17 10:44:52

Yes, that's what I do for pro-bono or non-profit work. I let them know the discount they've received.

olderthanyouthink Wed 05-Apr-17 10:55:52

Thanks

Also I think I'm going to get them to buy anything required but could I put not discounted stuff on invoices for them to pay me back? e.g. Plugins

AnisQiz Wed 05-Apr-17 12:34:00

yes, I would do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now