Advanced search

Benefits if self employed and can't work

(4 Posts)
whatithink Mon 27-Mar-17 12:56:38

Have been self employed for 3 years. I don't earn enough to pay tax but do pay National Insurance. Due to health issues I could do with taking some time off. I have a condition that is going to need a number of hospital apts and maybe some time in hospital. This won't work with my self employment so rather than mess clients about and stress myself out even more, I would rather just take some time off work.

Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any benefits? I suspect not because my husband works. We are not currently entitled to any benefits because of his salary but what I earn does make a difference to us. I know if I was employed I could take sick leave and get my GP to sign me off or even do reduced hours. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent for those of us self employed.

DragonFire99 Mon 27-Mar-17 13:01:22

Have you tried Googling?

Have a look here:

You can find out if you're entitled to ESA here.

If you're saying that you think it's going to be easier to stop working to fit round appts, not that you are too ill to work, I don't know if that would qualify...

LovelyBath77 Mon 15-May-17 13:58:23

I am interested in this also. You can get cont based ESA but not sure if need class 1 NI conts.

LovelyBath77 Mon 15-May-17 13:58:58

PIP is non means tested and can work while getting PIP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: