Talk

Advanced search

Taking the summer off work

(7 Posts)
Banania Mon 27-Mar-17 09:51:25

Hi, wondering if anyone has any insight on whether this is a good or insane idea. I've worked (self-employed) since my DC were small babies and they're now 5 and 2.5. I'm thinking of taking a couple of months off to get through the summer holidays and not have to send them to childcare.

The 2.5 year old wouldn't notice any difference but I'm wondering if my 5 year old could just do with a bit of downtime. They are still small (but won't be for long!) and I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and do this. Or will we all be bored stupid for the whole summer? Haven't mentioned it to DH yet as I think he would be a bit hmm at the hit to our finances. Also it might take me a while to pick up work again after the summer.

What do you other self-employed folk do?

GrumpyOldBag Fri 31-Mar-17 17:14:52

Surely this is one of the main benefits of being self-employed? You can choose when you work.

If your business and income can withstand a summer break, go for it!

BarchesterFlowers Fri 31-Mar-17 17:18:51

I did just that until DD was 9, did about 7 hours a week in the school hols, 10 maximum. It worked really well.

Boooooom Fri 31-Mar-17 17:30:27

I have recently retrained to be a commander of my own/family time and plan to take all the holidays off if we can afford for me to...do it!!!

Banania Mon 03-Apr-17 10:45:08

Thanks guys. H was totally up for the idea and pleased for the kids. Still not sure if I can swing it or not but for now that's the plan between us. grumpy - taking the summer off has not really ever been a do-er before as I've always been in the middle of contracts etc. This summer looks like it might work out but there is always the risk of losing contracts/clients come September if you're not available when needed iyswim.

But yeah, am excited now! No doubt I'll be posting back here with major cabin fever after one week in...but still!

Magicpaintbrush Fri 07-Apr-17 19:30:30

Do you know what, if you can afford to take that time off then absolutely do it. I try my best to keep my work schedule free during the school summer holidays if I can because working from home with a child present is an absolute NIGHTMARE. Take these Easter holidays as a perfect example - I am overwhelmed with my current workload and have an 8 year old DD who I am trying my best to keep entertained but frankly I just can't as I have got to work and I feel so so guilty. I feel like these precious days with her are being wasted while I sit at my desk and whenever she interrupts me (which is frequent) I feel so grumpy and irritated by it, but it's not her fault. I think if she had a sibling maybe it would be different, but she really relies on me (too much I feel) to keep her busy and when I'm stressed and worried about making deadlines and also stressed and worried that I'm ruining her school holidays it's just horrible. Horrible. I feel like both parts of my life need more attention than I can focus on when they overlap. For the past couple of years I have deliberately avoided taking on commissions during the summer holidays and am praying that none of my current commissions will run into the summer - I won't be taking on anything new until September, to give myself a (much needed) break and to spend some quality time with my child. It works so much better this way. If you can afford to do it, then definitely do it. They grow up so quickly. Make some lovely summer memories. I am very much regretting that I didn't think of this before the Easter holidays - I am thoroughly miserable at the moment!!

Banania Mon 10-Apr-17 12:57:06

Aw magic I feel your pain, I'm there right now today with one of my dc and not focusing at all on my work while she's here (hence the mnetting).Can't get a proper run at anything. And yes, I often feel like working from home means I'm not doing work OR home quite right.

So yes, I'm looking forward to this, time off and boundaries drawn between my worlds. It will definitely be tough financially, but I have to remind myself that this is WHY I've chosen to be freelance.

Working and kid stuff is hard, [brew for all of us!]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now