Talk

Advanced search

Dict8 accents

(8 Posts)
Hosepose Thu 23-Mar-17 10:01:47

Does anyone else have difficulty with this? I hate leaving the Alt N messages.

Shazzrajay19 Fri 31-Mar-17 18:08:24

Yes - some of the accents are so hard to understand, or the recording is muffled. I know what you mean. Its soooo frustrating!

Massicana22 Thu 13-Apr-17 18:14:01

I am one of the Dict8 transcribers and totally agree with your views about how difficult it is to understand some of the accents. I have many years of experience in medical work and do struggle quite a bit sometimes when typing some of the reports (with the aggravation of knowing that soon after submitting the transcription I will soon receive the dreaded "I hope you are well letter" from Dict8 which I must say, when I initially started working for them it actually broke my confidence a bit.

I do wonder sometimes whether the doctors who dictate the reports actually know that the transcribers have no other means of checking or double checking the foreign and unclear names they dictate?? If not, does Dict8 actually have some guidelines for these doctors on how they should dictate these letters/reports? In some cases you can actually tell that the dictation is not bad but the person dictating is using a bad dictation machine whereby the transcriptionist can actually hear all the background noise that goes around on the other end. Sometimes I wonder if Dict8 knows how the transcriptionists feel about working for them (or could it be the case that they don't really care?) Has anyone been with Dict8 long enough to know the answer to this or have been contacted by Dict8 trying to find out how the transcriptionists feel?

In all this there are a couple of things I like about Dict8. I like the fact that we can work the hours we want, I like the fact that we can choose the hours we want to work. I like the fact that we can choose what we want to type. These are the 3 big +++ for Dict8 in my view.

In an ideal world we would all like to receive clear dictation (accents are not really a problem so long as the person on the other side is sending clear words - I'm sure we all agree with this) .... if this was the case we wouldn't need to use the "Alt N".

WeTypeUK Wed 26-Apr-17 18:43:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

user1493458352 Sat 29-Apr-17 10:54:10

Totally agree about the appalling dictation also the fact they start the letter then go back to dictating the clinic date which breaks the typists momentum. I am sure they think we have access to basic pt info. The whisperers also are a pain that you can hardly hear. Also if you challenge anyone I find they monitor every letter you type and pick on every little thing. When I first started as a med sec back in the day med students had a whole afternoon instructing them on how to dictate, they got them to try and type back their own letters and they soon realised what constitutes bad dictation this instruction no longer happens. The icing on the cake is the newsletter that always has a spelling error, see we all make mistakes. The freedom to choose when to work and what to type is a must I agree. I would like to suggest they make available in each speciality a list of the doctors dictating so we can spell names correctly as you can usually find consultants on google unless they are locums but junior doctors you usually cannot. It's good to have others to talk to re this as those feedback messages really do knock your confidence. I actually counted my tasks against the errors after a few months and it was negligible something like twelve errors in two thousand letters so made feel normal.

wirethorn Fri 05-May-17 20:25:45

Massicana22 - you said 'Sometimes I wonder if Dict8 knows how the transcriptionists feel about working for them (or could it be the case that they don't really care?)

Answer: they don't care the slightest bit, no matter how long you've worked for them.

user1493458352 - you said 'if you challenge anyone I find they monitor every letter you type and pick on every little thing'.
Yup, that's the normal response, even if, as in your case, it's just 'twelve errors in two thousand letters'.

Have a look at this other thread about Dict8, which has a lot about proof-reading. It's a long one, so you have to click on ‘Show 100 messages’ at the bottom of the posts to see all the pages
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/freelancers/2326685-Pay-with-Dict8

user1494766872 Sun 14-May-17 14:28:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

user1493458352 Mon 12-Jun-17 21:11:14

I also find I am emailed re mistakes I am certain I have not made telling me I have not typed all letters on tape and not played to the beep which I always do I think it may be their system has problems and they blame us. I am meticulous in my work they now say you must type and not just proof read but wind back and read through listening to the dictation again all for 8p an hour. I asked to be able to listen to the file again to see where the error occurred also so I can see if I failed to save before submitting but they just told me the time on the file the second letter started which doesn't help me at all. So the criticism is not constructive at all. The tone of the email is appalling if this happened in the work place it wld be considered bullying. Luckily I work for two drs privately and never have any complaints.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now