Talk

Advanced search

Working from home - with a big dog

(9 Posts)
PermaShattered Fri 03-Mar-17 10:12:07

If you work from home and have a big dog, what's your routine? Does it work well? I'm a freelance journalist and very busy, and work during school hours and a little in the evening. As of 2 days ago, we have an amazing rescue dog, a 2 yr old golden retriever. I'm used to working between 9am and 2pm with coffee/lunch break, the odd shopping trip and the usual. I usual clock up 4 hours or so a day, at least. But with factoring in a good half hour walk in the mornings, and other potential distractions, I'd be really interested to know how this works for you.

Here's a pic of my Peggy.

CMOTDibbler Fri 03-Mar-17 10:21:16

I wfh (not freelance) and have two big dogs and a foster puppy. Dogs go out with me before I start work, then my 'lunch break' is taking them out again, out again after work. I don't do shopping trips in my work time, unless its just taking in an Ocado delivery

iseenodust Fri 03-Mar-17 10:25:26

Husband walked dog just for call of nature before he went to work at 6.45am. I took for proper walk after DS dropped at school. As I worked he would sleep/sit with me or if sunny would leave back door open and he would mooch in and out. Play in the garden at lunchtime. Bit more work after lunch. Short walk, maybe to village post office. Off to shops/collect DS/chores. DS play with dog. Dog follow me all round kitchen while make dinner grin. Second proper walk early evening.

Hoppinggreen Fri 03-Mar-17 14:48:55

I also work mostly from home - coincidentally with a large dog that looks very much like yours!!!
My day looks a bit like this
7 am get up and let dog into garden for a wee while yelling at the kids to get up.
8.30 school run
9am 20-30 minute dog walk
10-12 work ( if I have to see my clients I do it then, at the moment they are all local)
12-2 work from home if not already doing so
2.30 30 minute dog walk
3 o'clock school run
5ish dog walk ( or DH does it at 6 when he gets in)
If I'm out longer than 4 hours he goes to doggy daycare
At least yours isn't a puppy - I remember when ddog was tiny he was sleeping under my desk and decided to sink his teeth into my toe while I was on the phone to a client. I managed to turn my screams into a cough!!
Enjoy your dog - Goldies are the best x

Hoppinggreen Fri 03-Mar-17 14:50:31

And of course a photo

dingit Fri 03-Mar-17 14:56:52

Nothing useful to add, but she's gorgeous 😍

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 07-Mar-17 21:28:37

I've found it very difficult to adjust to having a dog in terms of work - turns out I was busy those ten hours a week after all!

I've recently got a dog walker - I don't use him every day, or even every week, but it's handy to have back up when the pressure is really on.

GrumpyOldBag Wed 08-Mar-17 17:47:04

It works fine for me having a dog at home while I work.

I get up at 7.15 with the dc, shower, get dressed, put on a load of laundry & take the dog for a 40-minute walk ready to start work at 10.

Usually work until 5 or 5.30.

The downside is the dog barks when someone (usually parcel delivery) comes to the door .... and if I'm on the phone at the time it can be distracting. Conference calls with lots of people, even worse!

IssyMoss Sat 22-Jul-17 14:58:35

Today 14:57 IssyMoss

I want to work from home. Secretarial/admin. But how on earth do you get into it? Things on the internet all
Look dodgy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now