Talk

Advanced search

Can I do a course when I've just had a baby?

(5 Posts)
Clumsymumsy22 Sun 26-Feb-17 08:46:58

Hi all,

I've been wanting to do some beauty courses for a while now but have never had the time or money (the issue is mostly the latter) to do any. I'm thinking I would like to offer different beauty treatments and wedding packages on a mobile self employed basis, as a way of improving my income when it drops as I will be going part time at work after maternity leave.

The course itself will be every third weekend and runs for 9 months, and I will have homework to do. It will cost £95 a month, but I can defer payments for up to 5 months.

My concern is, I'm due to have a baby on 9th March, and the course starts on 25th march. My partners said he can look after her on the weekend I do the course. I'm just a bit concerned about how tired I'm going to be and what if I don't want to leave her? I'm also planning on breastfeeding, so I would have to be around for that.

I just feel like I now have this opportunity to do something I've wanted to do for about 2 years, and like its a now or never kind of thing. I would have liked to do it before I got pregnant to prepare myself and then I wouldn't have this dilemma. It would also be a great opportunity for me to meet new people as I don't know many people in my area.

Am I being too optimistic and unrealistic about this? The next course starts in September, but I'm planning to go back to work then part time. Also is it worth it? Am I likely to build up the client base that I need?

Thanks

Cakescakescakes Sun 26-Feb-17 08:49:38

If you're breastfeeding it will be totally impossible. Sorry.

legfaced Sun 26-Feb-17 08:51:46

Don't do it.

You could have a 2 day old when the course starts if you're 2 weeks overdue. Even if baby arrives on your due date, a 2 week old baby is a huge demand. I doubt you'll want to be away from baby, and if you're bf you'll need to be feeding baby LOTS.

sailorcherries Sun 26-Feb-17 22:03:28

I went back to uni full time when DS was less than 7 weeks old. It involved 3 full days plus course work, essays and exams. I then started working part-time when he was 3 months old, around uni, and by Christmas had 2 jobs on the go.

It was hard but do-able with a support network. I graduated when he was just about to turn 3, graduated again since and work in a career I'm passionate about. If you want it badly enough and have people to help, go for it.

Secondtimesally Thu 09-Mar-17 21:56:04

You will not want to leave your baby for 2 whole days at only 2 weeks old (even less - my first born was 16 days overdue, and at 2 weeks postpartum we were in and out of hospital every 2nd day due to his weight loss and my infection) Don't do it now. There will be other courses. There won't be another first born baby who needs you 100%.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now