Talk

Advanced search

Freelancers who are also sahp, what does your day look like?

(4 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Tue 17-Jan-17 20:56:56

I've been freelancing part time as a copywriter/ghostwriter for the last year, while being a sahp. I have 3 year old and 2 year old and am expecting dc3 in March. My normal routine is to get up early and work for an hour in the morning, do an hour in the afternoon while the kids are napping and then maybe 2 or 3 late nights after the kids are in bed. All household cleaning and errands get done in the morning, then I spend the afternoon playing with the kids until dh gets home.

However, in the last few months, pregnancy tiredness has set in and I'm really struggling. I am too exhausted for the late nights (and often the early mornings too!) and as a result I have majorly cut back on my workload. For a number of reasons, I am not entitled to maternity benefit (I'm not in the uk) so I'm planning to keep on a small amount of work.

I don't think I'll be able to go back to my previous workload with a newborn thrown in the mix so am trying to figure out what I will do in the long run. Eldest isn't due to go to nursery til September. I am considering maybe getting some form of childcare for a few mornings a week, but not sure what is the best way of going about it. If I did get childcare, I could take on more work than I had done previously.

What does your day look like, and how do you cope?

sportinguista Tue 31-Jan-17 12:33:41

I am freelance and currently home ed. It is hard. However my DS is older and can do activities by himself. Not sure how I would have coped with a baby. It may be that booking some childcare will give you that leeway to work. Nowadays I work often in evenings and early mornings and I book childcare like sports camps in the summer. It just gives both parties a break!

INeedNewShoes Tue 31-Jan-17 12:37:25

Do you mind if I lurk?

I'm single and expecting my first baby in May. I have been building up my own freelance business, of which 50% of the work is work that I expect to be able to do at home with my child around. My friends think I'm bonkers; I think I'll make it work because I have little other choice! I will use childcare two afternoons per week while I do the teaching portion of my freelance work but hope that the desk-based stuff will be possible around the child.

HughLauriesStubble Tue 31-Jan-17 14:59:32

I posted the same thread in chat and got a few answers there if you want to have a look ineednewshoes smile

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2831445-Freelancers-who-are-also-sahp-what-does-your-day-look-like

It looks like I probably will have to get some form of childcare one or two mornings a week. I find it difficult to work around my older kids as it is (unless you're talking about staying up in the evenings, which is what I'm trying to get away from!)

I have an open plan downstairs and I occasionally try and get some work done in the afternoon in the kitchen while the kids are playing in the living room but I always end up either getting pestered by them or else I feel guilty about ignoring them sad

How are you finding work at the moment? I'm due in 7 weeks and currently exhausted and ignoring a stack of deadlined work that I could be doing while the kids nap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now