Talk

Advanced search

Invoicing/contract questions

(3 Posts)
RockinInAFreeWorld Mon 16-Jan-17 10:38:13

Hi all

A few questions from someone who has been out of the freelance game for a good while I would appreciate guidance on!

1. How frequent do you submit invoices for work carried out on an hourly rate? Weekly? I’ll be doing approx. 4 hours copywriting a week for 2-3 months.

2. When do you decide to draw up a contract, rather than just sent invoices in?

3. If you have a contract with a late payment clause what penalty/interest do you charge? The last time I did freelance work I just sent invoices in which were paid on time; lately I hear more and more horror stories of (copywriters especially!) having to chase and chase invoices sad

Many thanks.

CurlyMango Mon 16-Jan-17 13:41:29

Hi,

I invoice after I have completed. Or for this type of work i.e. 4 hours per week would invoice on a monthly basis.

I have only once in seven years tried to charge interest but in the end just was happy to get paid. I think that generally it would not work in my field, and indeed would make people choose not to hire me.

Best,

GrumpyOldBag Sun 22-Jan-17 18:55:37

I do all my invoicing (sending out & paying suppliers) on the 1st of the month.

If it's one particular project, I invoice after the project is complete.

If I'm working for a client on an ongoing basis, I invoice them monthly for the hours I've done the previous month.

I only do a contract if the client asks for it. However I make sure there is an email which sets out my terms and conditions and which they agree to by email.

I have never charged for late payment; my terms are 30 days and until recently I had never been paid more than a couple of weeks' late. I usually wait until an invoice is 7 days' overdue before sending a chase up email, that normally does the trick. However i have a new client who is a v. bad payer & am thinking of introducing this for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now