Talk

Advanced search

Digital mums

(4 Posts)
Mazzimaz2709 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:04:42

Re posting this under a different subject smile

Ok so 10 months on from DD's birth I was looking forward to going back to work. I had great colleagues and an interesting sales job that I have done for 10 years. When I returned to work I was offered a new challenge in business development for another business unit (same company), and was able to reduce my hours to 4.5 days a week. I have been in this new role for 6 months now and I am so disappointed.

I won't go in to too much detail but the position is not working out. My new colleagues are bitter towards me as in their eyes I have been brought in to "sort out sales" and they have been doing everything in their power to ignore suggestions from me and try to catch me out almost daily. Basically I am miserable! I have additional stress that I don't need or want now that I am a mum. I don't have the emotional energy to deal with work place politics (certainly when this was not an issue in my previous role that I thought I was going back to!) and of course now I am on a part time salary for 4.5 days a week I actually work longer hours for less pay. Apparently my previous role is no longer available to me.

New year has brought with it a new attitude and new ideas. For the first time in10 years I am thinking this is no longer the job for me. I want to chase the dream of flexible working (like most mums I'm sure) and make it work for me and my family. I have been researching a few options and the one i keep coming back to is digital mums. A few mumsnet searches however has come up with some mixed reviews, but ultimately I am very interested in the idea of re training to eventually build on the concept of portfolio working.

Can anyone share some successes or inspirational stories? Tales of similar situations and the desire to make work work better for their families? I would be particularly keen to hear from those who gave up a healthy salary (I am the main earner) and somehow still made it work.

DesireeDT Wed 15-Feb-17 12:31:23

I don't really have an inspirational success story, but all I can say is "don't give up". Personally I am not the type that would risk it, but if you devise a plan (extra difficult for mums) to someday/soon quit, "sky is the limit" smile

Hoppinggreen Wed 15-Feb-17 16:58:30

I'm in freelance business development and since starting my company 4 years ago he have never been without work ( unless I've wanted a break)
I've found a few jobs on here but am about to start another very flexible contract on a good day rate soon that I found via a contact.
Good sales skills are in demand where I am ( Yorkshire) and might be where you are too.
I don't earn as much as I could full time but I can earn £1000 per month for 15 hours or so a week.
Maybe worth looking into?

Dannygirl Sat 11-Mar-17 22:49:12

Hi OP I have done the Digital mums course myself, feel free to message me if you like. My background is Marketing. My very topline advice for someone in your situation is research the going rate of pay for a social media manager. It works out lower per hour than people might think partly because it's an extremely time consuming job and partly because many companies don't want to dedicate large budgets to it. The role can work out around £12/hr ish so it depends if that could work for you. You could certainly have a portfolio of clients and work very flexibly around your family, there's no doubt about that, but do just check the finances work for you. Have you considered other options like sales consultancy via an agency? Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now