Talk

Advanced search

Website designer: advice on training to become one

(7 Posts)
winkywinkola Sun 15-Jan-17 11:16:16

I'm very interested in this area. In fact, I'm interested in learning about design full stop.

But I'm 47 years old. I have a part time job and am running around after 4 dcs.

Should I study at a local college? Aim for a part time degree?

Or just carry on dreaming?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sun 15-Jan-17 22:42:24

Do you have any computer experience? Are you planning on building websites? Have you ever run a website? Any graphics experience?

Just trying to figure out the best starting point for you!

winkywinkola Mon 16-Jan-17 19:04:51

I have zero experience of any of the things you've listed.

I've project managed direct marketing campaigns which had an element of design in them but I was responsible for making sure the brief was fulfilled rather than the creative.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 16-Jan-17 21:57:45

Ok, well I think you could do with a course at college- whether it be night or day in graphics. Without it I think you're always going to struggle. It is quite a fun/interesting course to do though so that is good!

olderthanyouthink Sat 21-Jan-17 22:22:28

You could do a course on it, in person or online. I learned web development with an online program and I know they have design content too.

BTW you'll need to know some web development too, it's a little annoying being handed a design which you know won't work on web/ certain browsers/devices.

yeOldeTrout Sat 21-Jan-17 23:07:55

A lot of small charities are desperate for volunteers to run their websites.
They typically use something like WordPress: it's a WYSIWIG system (like Word is for writing documents).
It's a way for you to get on the learning curve for what types of software is used.

sportinguista Tue 31-Jan-17 12:29:56

Why not try Lynda.com and something like Codeacademy to help you learn the technical skills and do a college course in something like design to help you learn the design sensibility?

I do both online and offline design but came up through degree and working in that area. I do know some who came to things late but most designers do seem to have degrees, it is possible but it will be hard work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now