Talk

Advanced search

What do I do now? Ironing Services?

(20 Posts)
hanban89 Wed 14-Dec-16 22:06:02

I took the plunge and decided to try starting an ironing business as my shop is very quiet in winter months and this year it's dreadful. I set up a facebook page, a website, a yell.com add. Nothing showing up on google as of yet I'm presuming because this was all done just yesterday.
Should I do a leaflet drop? An add in the local paper costs more than what I want to pay as it would take a fair few hours of ironing to make it back. Any other ideas? I've got the wire hangers, clothes liners, massive professional iron which I already had. Just waiting on a call from a customer!

CheeseCakeSunflowers Wed 14-Dec-16 22:09:56

Does your local church have a parish magazine? Ours does a monthly one and its quite cheap to advertise in it.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 14-Dec-16 22:13:46

Leaflet drop with a money off coupon for your first iron.

CocktailQueen Wed 14-Dec-16 22:15:02

Maybe this time of the year isn't the best for ironing services? People are spending money on pressies and Xmas and perhaps are thinking about other things?

Do you have a local town magazine? We get one every month and there are ironing ads in there. Advertise on Facebook selling sites?

hanban89 Wed 14-Dec-16 22:27:00

Thank you for replies. I will have a look at our local church to see if they have a magazine. They have a notice board in the church hall so I might be able to put one up there.
I think I will do a leaflet drop. Do you think it's better to target certain types of area??? IYKWIM? New estates etc?
I've tried to put something on our local facebook selling page but it hasn't been approved so maybe they don't allow that sort of thing.

Youfromthefuture Wed 14-Dec-16 22:38:02

Where abouts in the country are you? I really need some ironing doing...

hanban89 Wed 14-Dec-16 22:39:29

Central Scotland? Wouldn't it be great if your local!

AgentProvocateur Wed 14-Dec-16 22:49:03

Where about in central Scotland? I'm needing loads done.

Youfromthefuture Wed 14-Dec-16 22:52:02

That's nowhere near me sad

Wish you luck in your venture though.

hanban89 Wed 14-Dec-16 22:55:36

Thank you Youfromthefuture.
I'm in Clackmannanshire AgentProvocateur if your interested. Would be happy smile

AgentProvocateur Wed 14-Dec-16 23:00:31

Too far for me. Sorry. I'm on the outskirts of Glasgow. But all the best with your new venture. I'd post in your local FB what's on page, rather than buying and selling, and target new estates. They may even have FB pages for the estate.

hanban89 Wed 14-Dec-16 23:03:00

Good thinking will do that as well. Thank you so much everyone smile

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 14-Dec-16 23:39:59

Yes, absolutely target affluent areas/estates where you'd expect to find families/working couples etc.

SloeGinandTonic Fri 16-Dec-16 11:01:18

Do you collect and deliver at weekends and in the evening?

That would make an ironing service more desirable to me.

hanban89 Sat 17-Dec-16 15:28:49

Yea I can collect and deliver. I went to the printers and made up 500 flyers which I will go round and distribute to see if that helps. I also managed to do a good basic website and in just a few days it's been viewed 34 times which I'm happy with so hopefully will get a few takers in the new year!

Mikethenight2good Sat 17-Dec-16 15:43:53

We found out Ironing lady through our child nursery. They sent an email out and we can drop off and pick up from nursery. Maybe contact local children nursery to see if you can offer your services to parents there? Good luck!

notagiraffe Sat 17-Dec-16 15:46:37

Word of mouth. Get chatting to the busy working mums from school, church, playgroup, book club, gym etc.

You could maybe offer a Christmas package - tablecloths and bedding - stuff people don't have time to do but want to look nice over the holidays.

IntendedParent Mon 19-Dec-16 23:27:55

Websites and google searches should take 4-8 weeks to appear. You shouldn't have started a shop and worked from home. A shop is a huge unnecessary expense.

mytinselsinatangle Mon 19-Dec-16 23:43:02

I'm obviously stereotyping but depending on where you live maybe commuters who work long days, single men who don't want to iron, affluent people who can afford to pay someone else. Then think about where to advertise where these people would see it. Stations, nurseries, private schools, gyms.

memyselfandaye Mon 19-Dec-16 23:49:57

I'm on my phone so can't link, but our local commercial radio station has a voucher page of special offers.

For eg hairdressers buy a £50 voucher for £25 or £100 spa day for £50 or gastro pub vouchers, window cleaning etc.

I don't think it costs anything to offer your services, could you do that with an introductory offer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now