Are there any successful freelance translators out there?

(4 Posts)
Rioja123 Tue 08-Nov-16 10:54:28

I did a search but could not find anything that recent. I am getting married next year and really co sidering starting up my own business after. I have a translation MA, and several years of experience in house. My languages are French and Spanish into English. I would love to hear your experiences.

mummyfox1984 Sat 12-Nov-16 16:07:32

I've been doing freelance translation for about 5 years now. I worked in-house prior to that. My first main freelance client was the company I worked for in-house (and they're still my main client!), so it may be a good idea to speak to the company/ies you used to work for. I got another client from setting up a profile on proz.com, and then a few more from sending my CV out to dozens of agencies. It can be hard starting out, but the effort is definitely worth it! smile

Rioja123 Sat 19-Nov-16 23:19:23

That is a good tip about contacting previous employers. How much do you make yearly, can I ask?

bottersnikes Mon 28-Nov-16 17:13:29

Hi Rioja, I've been a German>English translator for the last 5 years (after a 10-year career in finance) and really enjoy it.
If you have a translation MA and in-house experience already, then I'd say go for it! It's been a steep learning curve at times but I don't regret it; my work now is so much more varied and interesting.
If you want to PM me, I'm happy to chat more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now