Talk

Advanced search

Working from home ideas

(11 Posts)
Meganoxon85 Fri 28-Oct-16 09:38:02

Hi

I'm going to be working from home 5 hours on a Thursday and have a 16 month old.
I need some extra ideas of activities and things to keep him occupied whilst I work and so he's happy and entertained and I don't feel like I'm neglecting him!
Thanks!!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 28-Oct-16 20:11:33

If you are hoping to work with an 16 month year old, I think you might struggle. You might be able to work whilst he sleeps and put the TV on for a bit, but that is v unlikely to add up to 5 hours. My 8 year old wouldn't be able to amuse himself for 5 hours. And there is a safety aspect with 16 months that aren't verbal/that steady on their feet etc.

If you need to do 5 hours, can you do it before he wakes/during his sleep/when he is in bed. Realistically I think they are your only options.

I am guessing you are not employed as you are posting here, but some employers have clauses in their contracts about having suitable caring cover in place if you are working from home.

Does the 5 hours have to be done on a Thurs? Could you not spread it out and make the most of day time naps (whilst he still has them, many kids drop them early).

SilentBiscuits Fri 28-Oct-16 20:18:37

Five hours? Sorry, I'm with the pp, it's not possible! You would have to do two hours (or whatever) while he naps, then the rest after he goes down in the evenings.

I have a two-year-old and sometimes when she's sick she's at home with me I try to work - just do the essentials. I get the odd 10 minutes when she's occupied with something but realistically, it just doesn't work. It's hardly a conducive working environment anyway, you won't be able to concentrate with a toddler galumphing about.

Meganoxon85 Sat 29-Oct-16 08:18:39

Thanks for your messages but not really the advice I'm looking for. He would never be on his own as he would be in the same room as me. He sleeps for two hours and would be with a family member an hour - hour and half in afternoon plus a lunch break.
I'm really looking for activity ideas not unhelpful comments
Thanks

nat73 Sat 29-Oct-16 09:05:35

I'm not sure people are being unhelpful, you are being unrealistic!

SilentBiscuits Sat 29-Oct-16 14:01:12

Do you really think your work will be of a high quality with a 16 month old playing in the same room?

We could suggest activities till we're blue in the face, but a 16mo will not stick to the same activity for more than 10 minutes so you'll be constantly up and down. Not conducive to work - believe me, I've tried!

Shadowridge Sat 29-Oct-16 14:12:56

In sorry, it is not possible on a regular week in week out basis. Maybe once in a while with a sick older child happy to watch tv all day, but there are no activites we could suggest which could amuse a 16 month old completely for some 3 hours which would guarentee 5 hrs working time each week. can you do 1 hr early morning, 2 hrs nap, 2 hrs evening instead?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 29-Oct-16 16:04:43

Sorry you feel we are being unhelpful, as mentioned above, I agree that we are trying to be realistic. You still have to 'cover' 1.5/2 hours of having him/and working by the sounds of it. And the 2 hour nap could swiftly disappear/reduce....

Maybe you could re-post in parenting if this is about ideas to keep 16-months old entertained? I'd suggest the family member takes him out if they can, that will give you at least 1.5 hours of solid work time.

sofatrainer Mon 31-Oct-16 16:47:00

Sorry, I'm afraid that I'm another one who thinks that you're being unrealistic. I know that it's not the advice you want but it's all but impossible to keep a 16 month old occupied for 5 hours with minimal parental involvement. I managed to study when my son was that age but it was done all over his nap times so i got a good 2 -2,5 hours done at a time but the rest of the time I could get the odd 10 minutes here or there but more often than not he was up to no good and needed me there. Obviously suggestions are TV, IPAD, maybe a puzzle but at that age they're not really doing much, they want to walk or crawl, empty cupboards, shout at you to open the door if they're locked in. They might do the odd puzzle or look at a book for a minute but you really will be up and down like a yoyo. You might be best to do 2 hours when he sleeps, have your 1.5 hours childcare and do the rest when he has gone to bed at night.

Youcandoit2016 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:19:12

Put a playmat out with lots of toys on in the room you are in with some nursery rhymes playing in the background.

Set up a table with some paper and crayons on.

A treasure basket with lots of interesting objects in.

A pile of books.

If you have all these set out at once they should keep your little one occupied for a while!

From someone who works from home a couple of days a week smile

Portobelly Thu 17-Nov-16 08:56:31

I worked with my baby with me from three months.
But I can tell you that by the time he was 10 months old, despite me being quite RIE in my approach there was no way he could be in the same room as me whilst I work and I need childcare to allow me to do work.
He's 22mo now, and this is even more true.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now