Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any ghostwriters decided to go it alone? How has it worked out for you?

(4 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Mon 24-Oct-16 16:00:12

I've been ghostwriting for a while now and have done a few ebooks (amongst ither things). However, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find decent well paid work when the market is so diluted with people willing to write for ridiculously low amounts although I question what the standard of their work must be like

I've been considering going it alone for a while now and self publishing on amazon. I've no shortage of ideas, but I have THE FEAR.

Has anyone done this and managed to make a decent living from it? Or am I better off sticking with the ghostwriting, where I at least know that I will get paid for my work?

ImperialBlether Mon 24-Oct-16 16:04:25

Earnings from self-publishing tend to be very low, if they exist at all, so I'd go for ghost-writing and actually making some money.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of things you write? Is it non-fiction? Whose names are on the cover, if not yours?

HughLauriesStubble Mon 24-Oct-16 16:39:21

I write across a number of genres so some fiction (romance, crime etc) some non-fiction (how-to, true crime, travel, history etc). Most of the work I do is for publishers who then categorize what I've written and assign a pen name or persona to it (I assume, although I've never really asked).

Ultimate goal would be to throw a year into writing my own bestselling novel but I can't afford to give up a year of earning grin

ImperialBlether Mon 24-Oct-16 17:30:31

That's really interesting. I wonder why they're using pen names rather than your own name? Do the books sell well? Are any of them for Mills and Boon?

I know my agent has authors who are ghostwriters but they don't write fiction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now