Freelancers - How do you drum up business?

(3 Posts)
frangipani13 Sun 09-Oct-16 18:48:08

My background is digital copywriting/marketing, was made redundant towards the end of my pregnancy and decided to work remotely on a freelance basis. Have managed to drum up a bit of work myself using existing contacts but it's mainly ad hoc bits and has gone a little quiet so I'm starting to get really anxious about my prospects. Have contacted some digi agencies I worked with in the past and they've said they'll "Keep me in mind". I guess apart from cold calling which I don't think would be hugely worthwhile, I feel as though I've come up against some blanks as to how I can get more regular work. Can anyone who's been in a similar position offer any advice?

HughLauriesStubble Mon 10-Oct-16 18:42:35

I hate to say this OP but I've found the best way to get new clients is through Upwork. Which is a pity because of the huge service fee they charge sad

Have you got a website? Keeping your site current and adding regular content can help but tbh for something like copywriting, a lot of clients seem to go more for middlemen sites like Upwork and Freelancer than individual copywriter websites.

If it's any consolation, I began freelancing in June and was flat out all through the summer but have been in a huge slump for the last few weeks, and actually took some VA work to fill the void.

frangipani13 Mon 10-Oct-16 19:01:54

Yes I have a website with links to my portfolio pieces, social links and background. I'm going to start a blog on it too i think....
Thanks for the reply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now