How much to charge, hourly rate?

(16 Posts)
porsmork Sat 24-Sep-16 09:42:56

Hi all, hoping for some guidance.
My old employers, whom I worked with for 8 years prior to my resignation (childcare, currently sahm), have asked me to freelance for them. I don't know how much to charge, on an hourly rate.

I earned £37,000 a year, full time, 40 hours per week, at senior, but not management, level. Company is very good one to work for, and internationally renowned. I'll be doing one full day per week, working from home, and ad hoc check-ins during the week. I've done a rough estimate of £17 per hour, but dh said it should be more like £25-£30 due to lack of health cover, holiday, pension and benefits etc. I'm expecting a bit of negotiation, so planning on going in a bit higher than I expect to get.

Both amounts seem huge to me, probably because the last time I earned an hourly wage was when I had a teenage Saturday job at minimum wage!

So, quick poll, how much do you charge for your services?

Thanks in advance!

vegmum83 Sat 24-Sep-16 13:20:04

I'm not in that line of work but I agree with your DH that you should be charging more than you got previously to cover holidays etc. From what you were earning before the £25-£30 seems about right.

Wellthatsit Sat 24-Sep-16 13:23:19

I charge 28 per hour. I am a private music teacher. The one to one is intense, andy hourly rate doesn't reflect the actual hours I put in (learning new music, practising, researching and lesson planning) but is the going rate.

Agree with your DH re 25-30, if your job requires knowledge and skills that have taken time to acquire.

SueGeneris Sat 24-Sep-16 13:24:55

I charge £20 per hour having previously earned 32k. I think your DH is right.

lovelyupnorth Sat 24-Sep-16 13:26:45

Definitely 25-30 minimum.

SheldonsSpot Sat 24-Sep-16 13:27:43

Your DH is right.

As an employee earning 37000 you would actually be costing your employer something in at least the region of 45k upwards once you take into account NI, pension, annual leave, sick leave, office space and equipment, etc.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 24-Sep-16 17:05:38

Your DH is on the road to right, but I think you're still underselling yourself. As Sheldon says, you now have to factor in NI, pension contributions, tax, annual leave, equipment and travel charges, etc etc etc. Can you give us a job title if it's not too outing? My minimum rate is £50ph and I'm just a copywriter (albeit an exceptionally awesome one). Project managers etc that I know are pulling £400 - £600 pd...

Watch out for those check-ins as well, that's the sort of thing that ends up growing arms and legs. Agree a total number of hours up-front with the agreement you can invoice more if they ask you to do more.

porsmork Sat 24-Sep-16 18:03:46

Thanks everyone, reassuring to know all your thoughts!. Lonny, I was kind of a producer/project manager/editor. I definitely will make sure to agree hours upfront and charge additional on top.

SueGeneris Sat 24-Sep-16 20:18:52

Porsmork, I am in the same line of work as you. If you divide your gross salary by 45.5 weeks (assuming 5 weeks hol plus 8 days bank hol) then divide that by 40 hours you get £20.33. Without taking into account the benefits you don't get self employed as pp mentioned.

I tended to negotiate a fixed fee for projects on a per issue basis - roughly worked out what time per week it would take based on what I knew from being in house. It's easier than time recording when you're sending emails here there and everywhere.

Do your company use freelancers to do what you do? Is there a precedent set of what they pay? That's how I got my £20 per hour rate.

museumum Sat 24-Sep-16 20:21:07

I charge £350 a day. I was on £34k as an employee with similar responsibilities.

Rachcakes Sat 24-Sep-16 20:24:21

You'd be better charging a day rate. Most professionals do.

sentia Sat 24-Sep-16 20:25:20

I went permanent (in the same role) after working as a contractor. My contracting rate was about 50% higher than my permanent salary. Different field though.

The best thing to do is look online at relevant job boards to see what everyone else is charging.

Rachcakes Sat 24-Sep-16 20:26:34

What do other people in your field charge? Are there any similar jobs on LinkedIn that you could use as a guide?

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 24-Sep-16 21:15:11

soc of editors and proofreaders rates but keep in mind these are the minimums.

Nightmanagerfan Sat 24-Sep-16 21:24:24

I was in a similar line of work and charged £250-300 a day four years ago

Lovemylittlebear Sat 24-Sep-16 21:29:52

Work out an hourly fee with 'Holiday' included.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now