Talk

Advanced search

Marketing. What do I need? Any ideas?

(8 Posts)
JenniMToday Mon 12-Sep-16 06:24:57

I teach adults. Classes for organisations and privates sessions for individuals in stuff like iPads and tablets.
I'd like to find a few more local clients and an upcoming opportunity would be perfect. I am helping out at the Apple Day (run by the local business forum) by helping with the children's activity. I'll be photographing the 'Apple monsters' they make and sending them to the cloud where they'll be seen on a slideshow.
I'd like to find a way to market my one-to-one sessions (aimed at all levels, but particularly older and less confident tablet and iPad users) but also the gift vouchers for the parents to give to their parents etc as gifts.
I have leaflets I'm fairly happy with. What else shall I do? I won't have a lot of table space I don't think. Would a prize draw attract people's attention?
I thought a tablet running a slideshow of what I offer could be useful. What do you think?
I have no confidence in these types of decisions, so would appreciate any thoughts!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 12-Sep-16 09:16:18

What is an "Apple Day"? As in Apple products?

As can you outline the logistics of the day? Will the kids activity be near your leaflets? Is the acitivity on all the time? Can you take an 'assistant' to 'man' a competition tablet?

It sounds like you might be busy helping as opposed to managing any promo for yourself....?

So what about:

1) Have a tshirt printed with yr details on - both sides. Something like:

A question "Want to learn how to use your ipad better?
Bullet points about what you offer
Business name
Web address
Social channels

That way even if you are rushed off yr feet you'll still have visability.

2) Yes a competiton is a good idea to grab ppls details. Can they enter their details on a tablet at the event? Type form do nice online forms. Make sure your are clear about data protection. I am not sure I'd just offer your services though, maybe the prize is an Amazon voucher too to make it as appealing as possible.

A competition generally needs someone to hussle people into entering. They are unlikely to just enter their details. That person could also hand out the leaflets. Can you offer a special "Early Christmas deal" on the vouchers?

3) Extend your involvement in it by sharing content online (yr blog/social channels) to any of your audiences before & after. Maybe - Top 5 things you should do on your ipad but probably aren't. Or something kids related to link to the Apple day.
Blog about it, share the pics etc.

Not sure if that helps.

As an aside I think there is a massive gap around teaching kids to code. Is that something you can do? Already do?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 12-Sep-16 09:17:15

Not sure about the grammar of the tshirt slogan, but you get the idea!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 12-Sep-16 09:23:23

Also, re the pics in the cloud. Are the parents able to access the pics post the event? Or is there a way for you to get involved, so that you can push them to your site? I just think if you have something they want, then they are more likely to handover their details....

JenniMToday Mon 12-Sep-16 09:28:47

Some super ideas there, thank you!

It's a village fair type hung to celebrate the apple harvest, with cider bar, Apple pressing and other bits and bobs going on. I'm (as a local business) volunteering to sort the sharing of the pics of the childrens Apple monster competition entries.
The Apple company link is not list on me ;)

JenniMToday Mon 12-Sep-16 09:30:07

And teaching children to code is totally a thing I could do, and I've been taking an interest in local code clubs, I just can't do any more unpaid work, and here they are looking for volunteers to run the sessions.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 12-Sep-16 09:47:12

Ah, sorry I am so "City" jumping to assumptions about the name!

I don't mean volunteer for coding. I like in a niace London suburb. We all pay out money for other activities, I would assume 'Coding Club' would be the same. I know there are free things dojo etc but there is room for paid provision IMHO. However, I appreciate London can be different from elsewhere.

Good luck.

JenniMToday Mon 12-Sep-16 09:49:30

I'm not qualified / trained to work with children, but will consider it. Doesn't fit so well with my childcare needs though!
I discovered that summer clubs for children don't need OFSTED if 4 days or less, so would be tempted to do something like that in years to come smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now